May 5, 2011, 3:02 PM EST
UPDATE: Turns out that Chavez fractured his fifth metatarsal bone. Which is his pinky toe to you and me.
3:02 PM: Eric Chavez got the start at third base for the Yankees this afternoon but he had to leave the game after pulling up lame on a triple. No official word yet, but it looked like a groin pull or strain or whatever you do to groins.
I was tempted to make a “news flash!” joke about it, but this kind of bums me out. Chavez may have been the walking wounded for half a decade, but he had a great spring and has been pretty darn useful for the Yankees so far. His line of .303/.410/.424 has made giving Alex Rodriguez days off a much more palatable option. Now it’s pretty thin on the Yankees bench.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 61
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (74)