May 5, 2011, 3:02 PM EST
UPDATE: Turns out that Chavez fractured his fifth metatarsal bone. Which is his pinky toe to you and me.
3:02 PM: Eric Chavez got the start at third base for the Yankees this afternoon but he had to leave the game after pulling up lame on a triple. No official word yet, but it looked like a groin pull or strain or whatever you do to groins.
I was tempted to make a “news flash!” joke about it, but this kind of bums me out. Chavez may have been the walking wounded for half a decade, but he had a great spring and has been pretty darn useful for the Yankees so far. His line of .303/.410/.424 has made giving Alex Rodriguez days off a much more palatable option. Now it’s pretty thin on the Yankees bench.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (102)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)