May 5, 2011, 3:02 PM EDT
UPDATE: Turns out that Chavez fractured his fifth metatarsal bone. Which is his pinky toe to you and me.
3:02 PM: Eric Chavez got the start at third base for the Yankees this afternoon but he had to leave the game after pulling up lame on a triple. No official word yet, but it looked like a groin pull or strain or whatever you do to groins.
I was tempted to make a “news flash!” joke about it, but this kind of bums me out. Chavez may have been the walking wounded for half a decade, but he had a great spring and has been pretty darn useful for the Yankees so far. His line of .303/.410/.424 has made giving Alex Rodriguez days off a much more palatable option. Now it’s pretty thin on the Yankees bench.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)