May 5, 2011, 3:02 PM EST
UPDATE: Turns out that Chavez fractured his fifth metatarsal bone. Which is his pinky toe to you and me.
3:02 PM: Eric Chavez got the start at third base for the Yankees this afternoon but he had to leave the game after pulling up lame on a triple. No official word yet, but it looked like a groin pull or strain or whatever you do to groins.
I was tempted to make a “news flash!” joke about it, but this kind of bums me out. Chavez may have been the walking wounded for half a decade, but he had a great spring and has been pretty darn useful for the Yankees so far. His line of .303/.410/.424 has made giving Alex Rodriguez days off a much more palatable option. Now it’s pretty thin on the Yankees bench.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)