May 5, 2011, 4:48 PM EDT
Good news for the Rays, as they get to keep Lopez around as depth should they need some help at third base or second base. Bad news for Lopez, as no team felt he was worth a spot on the 25-man roster and a prorated portion of the minimum salary.
And they might be right to pass, as he’s hit just .231 with a .304 on-base percentage and .346 slugging percentage in 517 plate appearances since the beginning of last season and has long had a reputation for being a difficult personality for managers to deal with.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 77
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (77)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (73)