May 5, 2011, 4:48 PM EST
Good news for the Rays, as they get to keep Lopez around as depth should they need some help at third base or second base. Bad news for Lopez, as no team felt he was worth a spot on the 25-man roster and a prorated portion of the minimum salary.
And they might be right to pass, as he’s hit just .231 with a .304 on-base percentage and .346 slugging percentage in 517 plate appearances since the beginning of last season and has long had a reputation for being a difficult personality for managers to deal with.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (129)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)