May 5, 2011, 7:05 PM EST
J.P. Ricciardi’s first draft pick in his stint as the Toronto Blue Jays GM retired Thursday, as Triple-A Buffalo’s Russ Adams called it a career.
Adams was the 14th overall pick in the 2002 draft. After three steady seasons in the minors, he debuted with the Blue Jays in 2004, hitting .306/.359/.528 with four homers in 78 at-bats. That earned him a starting job in 2005. He went on to hit a respectable .256/.325/.383 with eight homers and 63 RBI. However, the Blue Jays soured on him defensively as the year went on.
As it turned out, those 139 major league games he played in as a rookie were more than he’d play in the rest of his career combined. The Blue Jays completely gave up on him as a shortstop after a 2006 season in which he hit .219/.282/.319 in 90 games, and since he didn’t really impress at second or third either, he was unable to carve out a career as a utilityman. He was last seen in the majors in eight games with the Jays in 2009.
This year was his second with the Mets’ Triple-A affiliate. He hit a solid .264/.444/.473 with 16 homers last year, but he was off to a poor .180/.296/.246 start in 72 at-bats this season.
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 14
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 27
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 91
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)