Great moments in bunting: Jonathan Sanchez edition

May 5, 2011, 4:00 PM EST

sanchez_jonathan

I don’t think that major league managers make players run laps for mental errors, but if they did, Jonathan Sanchez would be running some serious laps after this bunt against the Mets this afternoon.

Earlier today Andrew Baggarly of the Mercury News tweeted this from the press box:

Long road trip. Everyone wants to get home. So Jonathan Sanchez’s act is wearing extremely thin right now … I am no longer filling out my scorebook. Just writing “pitcher indifference” in block letters. That’s what it looks like to me.

He was referring to Sanchez’s nibbling of the strike zone, but I think the criticism could be expanded.

Mets won 5-2. Enjoy the plane ride home, Mr. Sanchez.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 5, 2011 at 4:13 PM

He should get negative fantasy points for that.

2. Jonny 5 - May 5, 2011 at 4:19 PM

I could never never make myself like this guy, and this is another reason. Dirty Sanchez!!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 5, 2011 at 4:25 PM

Freddy is the ODS (Original Dirty Sanchez).

3. bobulated - May 5, 2011 at 4:28 PM

The Giants seem to have a few guys who now that they have a ring feel that things will be easier, Sanchez chief amongst them. Everybody plays harder vs. the champs, Jonathon.

• sayheykidwschamp - May 5, 2011 at 5:06 PM

That statement is completely false and without any background knowledge as to who Jonathan Sanchez is as a baseball player. His problem has always been between the ears. He is not always into the game. This is another mental error in a list of many since we called him up a few years ago. It has nothing to do with everyone plays harder vs. the champs…what does that have to do with a bunting mental error to not run. So explain to me how “Everybody plays harder vs. the Champs” have anything to do with not running out a bunting play to 1B? It has to do with mental errors, which you just committed as well.

• bobulated - May 6, 2011 at 5:23 PM

sayhey, I live in the Bay area too. My statement merely means that IMHO a few of the guys have enjoyed being “Champs” (TV, appearances, etc.) to such an extent that the focus that was so impressive down the stretch and in the playoffs last year seems to be lacking a bit this season. I believe the lack of concentration is showing in poor defense (although Miggy being old is part of that issue), plate discipline and some of the other bone headed play are symptomatic of this. Besides how the heck is a pitcher standing in the box arguing whether a ball is foul off the plate defensible in anyway? I’m making an mental error by pointing this out? Thinking Aubrey Huff can play RF? 6.5 million for 36 yr old Miggy to play SS? Those are mental errors.

4. Pierre Cruzatte - May 5, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Looks more like he thought there were two outs. Somewhat more forgivable, I’d argue.

• Utley's Hair - May 5, 2011 at 5:02 PM

He wouldn’t be bunting if there were two outs.

5. Utley's Hair - May 5, 2011 at 5:02 PM

What a maroon.

6. RickyB - May 5, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Not sure this is what he thought, but I bet he was telling the umpire that the ball hit home plate. Which of course is in fair territory. But players don’t always know the rules all that well …

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5160)