May 5, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
Jeff Niemann exited last night’s start against the Blue Jays after just four innings because of back soreness and Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that he underwent an MRI exam this morning.
Niemann told Topkin that he’s “still pretty sore” after visiting with a back specialist and it sounds like his ending up on the disabled list is likely.
Topkin speculates that Andy Sonnanstine would slide into the rotation if that happens. He started 22, 32, and 18 games from 2007-2009, but Sonnanstine has just four starts among 47 total appearances since the beginning of last season and sports a 5.33 career ERA as a starter. Recalling Alex Cobb from Triple-A is another option.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)