May 5, 2011, 12:18 PM EDT
Jeff Niemann exited last night’s start against the Blue Jays after just four innings because of back soreness and Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times reports that he underwent an MRI exam this morning.
Niemann told Topkin that he’s “still pretty sore” after visiting with a back specialist and it sounds like his ending up on the disabled list is likely.
Topkin speculates that Andy Sonnanstine would slide into the rotation if that happens. He started 22, 32, and 18 games from 2007-2009, but Sonnanstine has just four starts among 47 total appearances since the beginning of last season and sports a 5.33 career ERA as a starter. Recalling Alex Cobb from Triple-A is another option.
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 20
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 44
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 101
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 31
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 59