May 5, 2011, 10:52 PM EST
Just one day after coming off the DL, Nyjer Morgan suffered an injury that will put him right back on it. He broke his left middle finger on a sacrifice bunt in the eighth inning Thursday and is expected to miss 2-4 weeks, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
With Morgan on the disabled list, the Brewers will go back to Carlos Gomez in center field. Gomez, who was supposed to be the starter this year, was benched after Morgan was activated on Tuesday. He’s hitting .234/.275/.315 in 111 at-bats this season.
Morgan has hit .379 with two triples and two doubles in 29 at-bats during his limited action with the Brewers. The Brewers will probably bring back Brandon Boggs to replace him on the roster, assuming that he remains in the organization. He was bumped from the 40-man roster on Wednesday and has the right to elect free agency if he chooses. If Boggs leaves, then Jeremy Reed could get another chance.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)