May 5, 2011, 10:52 PM EDT
Just one day after coming off the DL, Nyjer Morgan suffered an injury that will put him right back on it. He broke his left middle finger on a sacrifice bunt in the eighth inning Thursday and is expected to miss 2-4 weeks, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
With Morgan on the disabled list, the Brewers will go back to Carlos Gomez in center field. Gomez, who was supposed to be the starter this year, was benched after Morgan was activated on Tuesday. He’s hitting .234/.275/.315 in 111 at-bats this season.
Morgan has hit .379 with two triples and two doubles in 29 at-bats during his limited action with the Brewers. The Brewers will probably bring back Brandon Boggs to replace him on the roster, assuming that he remains in the organization. He was bumped from the 40-man roster on Wednesday and has the right to elect free agency if he chooses. If Boggs leaves, then Jeremy Reed could get another chance.
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 131
- Yankees GM Brian Cashman acknowledges team won’t pay A-Rod $6 million bonus for 660th home run 69
- Willie Mays congratulates Alex Rodriguez for reaching 660 career home runs 33
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 38
- Ryan Hanigan needs surgery, so the Red Sox will call up prospect Blake Swihart 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (131)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)