May 5, 2011, 10:52 PM EDT
Just one day after coming off the DL, Nyjer Morgan suffered an injury that will put him right back on it. He broke his left middle finger on a sacrifice bunt in the eighth inning Thursday and is expected to miss 2-4 weeks, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
With Morgan on the disabled list, the Brewers will go back to Carlos Gomez in center field. Gomez, who was supposed to be the starter this year, was benched after Morgan was activated on Tuesday. He’s hitting .234/.275/.315 in 111 at-bats this season.
Morgan has hit .379 with two triples and two doubles in 29 at-bats during his limited action with the Brewers. The Brewers will probably bring back Brandon Boggs to replace him on the roster, assuming that he remains in the organization. He was bumped from the 40-man roster on Wednesday and has the right to elect free agency if he chooses. If Boggs leaves, then Jeremy Reed could get another chance.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 103
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 55
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (113)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (103)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- WATCH LIVE: Wings-Hawks, Game 4
- PHT: Rangers live another day, edge Bruins in OT
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1