May 5, 2011, 10:52 PM EDT
Just one day after coming off the DL, Nyjer Morgan suffered an injury that will put him right back on it. He broke his left middle finger on a sacrifice bunt in the eighth inning Thursday and is expected to miss 2-4 weeks, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
With Morgan on the disabled list, the Brewers will go back to Carlos Gomez in center field. Gomez, who was supposed to be the starter this year, was benched after Morgan was activated on Tuesday. He’s hitting .234/.275/.315 in 111 at-bats this season.
Morgan has hit .379 with two triples and two doubles in 29 at-bats during his limited action with the Brewers. The Brewers will probably bring back Brandon Boggs to replace him on the roster, assuming that he remains in the organization. He was bumped from the 40-man roster on Wednesday and has the right to elect free agency if he chooses. If Boggs leaves, then Jeremy Reed could get another chance.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)