Quote of the Day: Mark McGwire on Mike Stanton

May 5, 2011, 9:35 AM EDT

mcgwire-101020

Mark McGwire is really impressed with Marlins’ slugger Mike Stanton:

“Power hitters are born. He’s just a born home run hitter. “

1. BC - May 5, 2011 at 11:12 AM

My dad always used to talk about Harmon Killebrew and Frank Howard – they were basically just home run hitters. He also said McGwire and Thome reminded him of Killebrew – make a mistake and its in the seats. Haven’t seen much of Stanton, but what little I’ve seen has been impressive.

• Old Gator - May 5, 2011 at 11:39 AM

The gamer he hit last night was probably his lamest excuse for a home run so far this season – barely three or four rows back in left center, though it had that nice, majestic gravity’s rainbow arc to it. He just didn’t get all of it.

Anyway, why shouldn’t McGwire comment? Steroids occur in nature too.

2. Jeff J. Snider - May 5, 2011 at 11:39 AM

Of course, McGwire hit 49 home runs when he was roughly Stanton’s age and build, so he probably knows quite a bit about natural home run ability.

• Old Gator - May 5, 2011 at 2:24 PM

Oddly enough, McGwire as a rookie had a long, lean, lanky look to him and his swing was broad and torqy. Stanton’s huskier already and his swing is more compact, like a rattlesnake strike (a subject upon which I am something of an inadvertent authority these days) except when he chases low and away sliders and curveballs, when it resembles Jack Nicklaus more than anyone else. McGwire bulked up over the half-decade following his rookie season.

3. BC - May 5, 2011 at 11:49 AM

My favorite pure home-run-only hitter of all time was Rob Deer. Saw him hit a 505-foot HR in old Tiger Stadium that I think is still flying toward Montreal after having circled the earth 137 times. The guy hit bombs. Canseco hit one in Sky Dome in 1998 that hit the Hard Rock Cafe as the ball was still going up – 445 officially but would have been about 700 feet if the darn overpriced restaurant didn’t get in the way. Unfortunately never saw Dave Kingman play in person, though, which is a major regret.

• aleskel - May 5, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I was at a Yankees-Mariners game last year when Russell Branyan hit one off of Javy Vasquez that I’m pretty sure hasn’t come down yet. Hardest hit ball I’ve ever seen.

• BC - May 5, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Branyan kills the ball. A buddy of mine went to Yankee Stadium on the day Branyan came up with the Indians, and he’s watching BP going, “Who the bleep is THAT??”. Was hitting bomb after bomb.

4. aceshigh11 - May 5, 2011 at 12:44 PM

A bit awkward, yes, but I suppose he can’t help but make such observations given his job.

McGwire’s forearms still look like baked hams.

5. marshmallowsnake - May 5, 2011 at 1:08 PM

“Power hitters are born.” – says the man who artificially created more power for his career! LOL!!!!

6. IdahoMariner - May 5, 2011 at 1:19 PM

“I know what Big Mac is saying here, and there is a ton of truth to it, but it strikes me that McGwire and certain other players of a certain era probably need to steer clear opining about how home run hitters simply occur in nature.”

I love this quote because all of the anti-steroid zealots (not everyone who thinks steroids don’t belong in the game is a zealot, just the ones who think the users should be removed from our collective memories and beaten and shackled) will be very confused, because, since Craig is a “noted steroid apologist” (his phrase, or close), he’s not allowed to have any nuanced opinions about this. I just like thinking about how they won’t know how to respond to it.

All the trade deadline news to know