May 5, 2011, 11:46 AM EST
Bobby Jenks was unavailable to pitch in last night’s marathon loss to the Angels because of a forearm injury, so not surprisingly Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox have placed him on the disabled list prior to this afternoon’s game.
Dan Wheeler joins Jenks in heading to the DL, which allows Boston to add a pair of much-needed fresh arms in left-hander Rich Hill and right-hander Scott Atchison.
Josh Beckett exited last night’s game after just 4.1 innings because of a rain delay and then seven different relievers (including Daisuke Matsuzaka) combined to work 8.2 innings and throw 157 pitches.
Jenks (9.35 ERA) and Wheeler (11.32 ERA) have both struggled in their first month with the Red Sox after signing as free agents this offseason.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)