May 5, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
Bobby Jenks was unavailable to pitch in last night’s marathon loss to the Angels because of a forearm injury, so not surprisingly Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox have placed him on the disabled list prior to this afternoon’s game.
Dan Wheeler joins Jenks in heading to the DL, which allows Boston to add a pair of much-needed fresh arms in left-hander Rich Hill and right-hander Scott Atchison.
Josh Beckett exited last night’s game after just 4.1 innings because of a rain delay and then seven different relievers (including Daisuke Matsuzaka) combined to work 8.2 innings and throw 157 pitches.
Jenks (9.35 ERA) and Wheeler (11.32 ERA) have both struggled in their first month with the Red Sox after signing as free agents this offseason.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 52
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 89
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (99)