May 5, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
Bobby Jenks was unavailable to pitch in last night’s marathon loss to the Angels because of a forearm injury, so not surprisingly Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox have placed him on the disabled list prior to this afternoon’s game.
Dan Wheeler joins Jenks in heading to the DL, which allows Boston to add a pair of much-needed fresh arms in left-hander Rich Hill and right-hander Scott Atchison.
Josh Beckett exited last night’s game after just 4.1 innings because of a rain delay and then seven different relievers (including Daisuke Matsuzaka) combined to work 8.2 innings and throw 157 pitches.
Jenks (9.35 ERA) and Wheeler (11.32 ERA) have both struggled in their first month with the Red Sox after signing as free agents this offseason.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)