May 5, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
Bobby Jenks was unavailable to pitch in last night’s marathon loss to the Angels because of a forearm injury, so not surprisingly Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox have placed him on the disabled list prior to this afternoon’s game.
Dan Wheeler joins Jenks in heading to the DL, which allows Boston to add a pair of much-needed fresh arms in left-hander Rich Hill and right-hander Scott Atchison.
Josh Beckett exited last night’s game after just 4.1 innings because of a rain delay and then seven different relievers (including Daisuke Matsuzaka) combined to work 8.2 innings and throw 157 pitches.
Jenks (9.35 ERA) and Wheeler (11.32 ERA) have both struggled in their first month with the Red Sox after signing as free agents this offseason.
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 0
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 9
- A fan died at Turner Field after falling from the upper deck 49
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 10
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 29
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 18
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 14
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (264)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)