May 5, 2011, 11:46 AM EDT
Bobby Jenks was unavailable to pitch in last night’s marathon loss to the Angels because of a forearm injury, so not surprisingly Alex Speier of WEEI.com reports that the Red Sox have placed him on the disabled list prior to this afternoon’s game.
Dan Wheeler joins Jenks in heading to the DL, which allows Boston to add a pair of much-needed fresh arms in left-hander Rich Hill and right-hander Scott Atchison.
Josh Beckett exited last night’s game after just 4.1 innings because of a rain delay and then seven different relievers (including Daisuke Matsuzaka) combined to work 8.2 innings and throw 157 pitches.
Jenks (9.35 ERA) and Wheeler (11.32 ERA) have both struggled in their first month with the Red Sox after signing as free agents this offseason.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 19
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 7
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 41
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (245)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)