May 6, 2011, 6:29 PM EDT
The Rangers shipped out catcher Taylor Teagarden to make room for Neftali Feliz on the roster Friday and now we know why: Alexi Ogando is again dealing with a finger blister and is iffy to pitch Sunday.
So, at the moment, the Rangers have 13 pitches on the roster, even though they’ve barely needed 12 so far. Long man Dave Bush, who has pitched just four times all year, is likely choice to start Sunday if Ogando can’t go.
According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Ogando is currently wearing an acrylic nail to protect the blister. Ogando previously had blister trouble in an April 18 start against the Yankees. It’s the only time in six trips to the mound this year that Ogando has allowed more than two runs. The right-hander is 3-0 with a 2.17 ERA this season.
With the Rangers going to 13 pitchers, we won’t see anymore of Mike Napoli at DH. Manager Ron Washington was afraid to use Napoli as a DH before Teagarden was called up because of the possibility that Yorvit Torrealba would get hurt. Napoli is struggling of late anyway, but anything that costs him at-bats is good news for the Rangers’ rivals.
- Michael Wacha to make first rehab start Sunday with the Double-A Springfield Cardinals 0
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 20
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 11
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 41
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- These days, the correlation between payroll and winning is historically weak 61
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (143)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (90)