May 6, 2011, 6:29 PM EST
The Rangers shipped out catcher Taylor Teagarden to make room for Neftali Feliz on the roster Friday and now we know why: Alexi Ogando is again dealing with a finger blister and is iffy to pitch Sunday.
So, at the moment, the Rangers have 13 pitches on the roster, even though they’ve barely needed 12 so far. Long man Dave Bush, who has pitched just four times all year, is likely choice to start Sunday if Ogando can’t go.
According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Ogando is currently wearing an acrylic nail to protect the blister. Ogando previously had blister trouble in an April 18 start against the Yankees. It’s the only time in six trips to the mound this year that Ogando has allowed more than two runs. The right-hander is 3-0 with a 2.17 ERA this season.
With the Rangers going to 13 pitchers, we won’t see anymore of Mike Napoli at DH. Manager Ron Washington was afraid to use Napoli as a DH before Teagarden was called up because of the possibility that Yorvit Torrealba would get hurt. Napoli is struggling of late anyway, but anything that costs him at-bats is good news for the Rangers’ rivals.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)