May 6, 2011, 6:29 PM EDT
The Rangers shipped out catcher Taylor Teagarden to make room for Neftali Feliz on the roster Friday and now we know why: Alexi Ogando is again dealing with a finger blister and is iffy to pitch Sunday.
So, at the moment, the Rangers have 13 pitches on the roster, even though they’ve barely needed 12 so far. Long man Dave Bush, who has pitched just four times all year, is likely choice to start Sunday if Ogando can’t go.
According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Ogando is currently wearing an acrylic nail to protect the blister. Ogando previously had blister trouble in an April 18 start against the Yankees. It’s the only time in six trips to the mound this year that Ogando has allowed more than two runs. The right-hander is 3-0 with a 2.17 ERA this season.
With the Rangers going to 13 pitchers, we won’t see anymore of Mike Napoli at DH. Manager Ron Washington was afraid to use Napoli as a DH before Teagarden was called up because of the possibility that Yorvit Torrealba would get hurt. Napoli is struggling of late anyway, but anything that costs him at-bats is good news for the Rangers’ rivals.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)