May 6, 2011, 6:29 PM EDT
The Rangers shipped out catcher Taylor Teagarden to make room for Neftali Feliz on the roster Friday and now we know why: Alexi Ogando is again dealing with a finger blister and is iffy to pitch Sunday.
So, at the moment, the Rangers have 13 pitches on the roster, even though they’ve barely needed 12 so far. Long man Dave Bush, who has pitched just four times all year, is likely choice to start Sunday if Ogando can’t go.
According to Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News, Ogando is currently wearing an acrylic nail to protect the blister. Ogando previously had blister trouble in an April 18 start against the Yankees. It’s the only time in six trips to the mound this year that Ogando has allowed more than two runs. The right-hander is 3-0 with a 2.17 ERA this season.
With the Rangers going to 13 pitchers, we won’t see anymore of Mike Napoli at DH. Manager Ron Washington was afraid to use Napoli as a DH before Teagarden was called up because of the possibility that Yorvit Torrealba would get hurt. Napoli is struggling of late anyway, but anything that costs him at-bats is good news for the Rangers’ rivals.
- Tigers acquire closer Joakim Soria from the Rangers 9
- Phillies officials “have contemplated the possibility of paying off” and releasing Ryan Howard 29
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 17
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 158
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 30
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (158)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)