May 6, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Terry Collins said that Pagan suffered a setback yesterday in his recovery from a strained oblique muscle and will travel to New York to be examined by team doctors.
Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com speculates that the setback essentially resets Pagan’s timetable, meaning he’d be at least another 2-3 weeks from returning.
Jason Pridie has been the Mets’ primary center fielder in Pagan’s absence, but he’s overmatched as an everyday player after years of posting mediocre numbers with horrible strikeout-to-walk ratios in the minors.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)