May 6, 2011, 3:18 PM EDT
Peter Moylan‘s back pain hasn’t subsided after taking two weeks to rest, so the Braves reliever told Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal Constitution that he expects to undergo season-ending surgery.
Moylan was examined yesterday by a surgeon in Atlanta and will travel to Los Angeles early next week to get a second opinion before making a decision.
“Once we have his opinion we’ll decide what we’re going to do, but it looks like surgery is imminent,” Moylan told Rogers.
While not a household name, Moylan has been an incredibly effective reliever for the Braves, posting a 2.61 ERA in 252 career innings and bouncing back extremely well from Tommy John elbow surgery a few years ago.
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 0
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 17
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 42
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 20
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)