May 6, 2011, 3:18 PM EST
Peter Moylan‘s back pain hasn’t subsided after taking two weeks to rest, so the Braves reliever told Carroll Rogers of the Atlanta Journal Constitution that he expects to undergo season-ending surgery.
Moylan was examined yesterday by a surgeon in Atlanta and will travel to Los Angeles early next week to get a second opinion before making a decision.
“Once we have his opinion we’ll decide what we’re going to do, but it looks like surgery is imminent,” Moylan told Rogers.
While not a household name, Moylan has been an incredibly effective reliever for the Braves, posting a 2.61 ERA in 252 career innings and bouncing back extremely well from Tommy John elbow surgery a few years ago.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)