May 6, 2011, 8:24 AM EDT
Frank McCourt hired Steve Soboroff as his Vice Chairman a couple of weeks ago. His mission: to help the Dodgers get their security situation in order in the wake of the Bryan Stow beating. His real job since that time: to be a McCourt mouthpiece in his battle with Major League Baseball. Indeed, one of his first acts was to try to shamelessly score some P.R. points against MLB using Dodgers’ security as pretext.
The Los Angeles Times reports that he was at it again yesterday, only this time he decided to tell an outright lie rather than merely spin hypothetical scenarios. Specifically, he told several media outlets that Tom Schieffer, the trustee appointed by Major League Baseball to run the team, did not respond promptly to a request from the Dodgers’ general counsel for upgraded stadium security in the wake of the news that Osama bin Laden had been killed.
The only problem: it was a lie. Schieffer responded via email within two minutes of the request, granting it. Frank McCourt apologized late yesterday, admitting that Soboroff’s claim was baloney. Soboroff has not commented. Which is understandable, because what is he gonna say? “I hereby retract the bullsh** statement I made that was clearly calculated to make it seem like Schieffer is not on top of his duties in overseeing the Dodgers. I will attempt to offer less baldly false propaganda in my efforts to help Mr. McCourt keep his team in the future”?
Frank McCourt has said a lot of things in the past week in an effort to make it seem like he’s still in charge of the Dodgers. Here’s one thing that might actually work, Frank: fire your buddy Soboroff.
Or not. After all, when the team doesn’t make payroll at the end of the month and MLB takes over, they’re gonna fire him anyway.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)