May 6, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
I’m rather excited about Eric Hosmer’s callup. He’s the first stud prospect of the season whose debut game will force me to tell my wife that I can’t watch a movie with her that evening because I have to watch some 21-year-old who doesn’t even play for my favorite team hit. It’s always a special time of year when that happens.
Tonight he debuts against Gio Gonzalez, which should be a pretty tough test. They’re both lefties, and Gonzalez has tuned up lefties to the tune of .220/.289/.317 so far this year. He’s also batting sixth, so he’s following in Jason Heyward‘s footsteps a “dude who’s too good to bat sixth.” Though, yeah, I guess we shouldn’t think too hard about that given that Hosmer has exactly zero major league at bats in his life.
The game is at 8:10 PM Eastern for those non-Royals/A’s fans who have MLB.TV or Extra Innings and want to watch someone who could be a very special player in the making.
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 1
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 11
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 9
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 77
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)