May 6, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
I’m rather excited about Eric Hosmer’s callup. He’s the first stud prospect of the season whose debut game will force me to tell my wife that I can’t watch a movie with her that evening because I have to watch some 21-year-old who doesn’t even play for my favorite team hit. It’s always a special time of year when that happens.
Tonight he debuts against Gio Gonzalez, which should be a pretty tough test. They’re both lefties, and Gonzalez has tuned up lefties to the tune of .220/.289/.317 so far this year. He’s also batting sixth, so he’s following in Jason Heyward‘s footsteps a “dude who’s too good to bat sixth.” Though, yeah, I guess we shouldn’t think too hard about that given that Hosmer has exactly zero major league at bats in his life.
The game is at 8:10 PM Eastern for those non-Royals/A’s fans who have MLB.TV or Extra Innings and want to watch someone who could be a very special player in the making.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 48
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 51
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 85
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 57
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 52
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 96
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (105)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (104)
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels (96)