Eric Hosmer will bat sixth, play first base in tonight’s Athletics-Royals game

May 6, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT

Kansas City Royals v Texas Rangers Getty Images

I’m rather excited about Eric Hosmer’s callup. He’s the first stud prospect of the season whose debut game will force me to tell my wife that I can’t watch a movie with her that evening because I have to watch some 21-year-old who doesn’t even play for my favorite team hit. It’s always a special time of year when that happens.

Tonight he debuts against Gio Gonzalez, which should be a pretty tough test. They’re both lefties, and Gonzalez has tuned up lefties to the tune of .220/.289/.317 so far this year.  He’s also batting sixth, so he’s following in Jason Heyward‘s footsteps a “dude who’s too good to bat sixth.”  Though, yeah, I guess we shouldn’t think too hard about that given that Hosmer has exactly zero major league at bats in his life.

The game is at 8:10 PM Eastern for those non-Royals/A’s fans who have MLB.TV or Extra Innings and want to watch someone who could be a very special player in the making.

1. mcs7584 - May 6, 2011 at 2:35 PM

effin’ blackout restrictions.

2. spudchukar - May 6, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Yeah, me too, I live in Idaho and am blacked out of Royals games. The Mariners I can accept, neighbor state and all, but K.C.?

By the way Craig, I am curious, how does that go with your wife, the movie thing and the 21-year old rookie?

3. kcroyal - May 6, 2011 at 3:14 PM

As silly as calling him up at this point is I’m pretty stoked. Would much rather waited a month and contolled him for an extra season and given Kila a little more time. Hos only played 26 or so games at AAA and has only a few more AA and AAA AB’s that Kila has Pro AB’s. Trust the Process.

4. Tyree Studio - May 6, 2011 at 4:16 PM

He’s eligible for arbitration sooner. It doesn’t mean the team loses control.

The Super 2 rule is likely to be done away with in the next CBA making the call-up timing irrelevant.

5. policyopinions - May 6, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Yeah, my girlfriend’s in for an entertaining Friday night with me “sitting at the computer all night” ahahah!!! And I’ll be watching the Royals.

All the trade deadline news to know