Eric Hosmer will bat sixth, play first base in tonight’s Athletics-Royals game

May 6, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT

Kansas City Royals v Texas Rangers Getty Images

I’m rather excited about Eric Hosmer’s callup. He’s the first stud prospect of the season whose debut game will force me to tell my wife that I can’t watch a movie with her that evening because I have to watch some 21-year-old who doesn’t even play for my favorite team hit. It’s always a special time of year when that happens.

Tonight he debuts against Gio Gonzalez, which should be a pretty tough test. They’re both lefties, and Gonzalez has tuned up lefties to the tune of .220/.289/.317 so far this year.  He’s also batting sixth, so he’s following in Jason Heyward‘s footsteps a “dude who’s too good to bat sixth.”  Though, yeah, I guess we shouldn’t think too hard about that given that Hosmer has exactly zero major league at bats in his life.

The game is at 8:10 PM Eastern for those non-Royals/A’s fans who have MLB.TV or Extra Innings and want to watch someone who could be a very special player in the making.

1. mcs7584 - May 6, 2011 at 2:35 PM

effin’ blackout restrictions.

2. spudchukar - May 6, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Yeah, me too, I live in Idaho and am blacked out of Royals games. The Mariners I can accept, neighbor state and all, but K.C.?

By the way Craig, I am curious, how does that go with your wife, the movie thing and the 21-year old rookie?

3. kcroyal - May 6, 2011 at 3:14 PM

As silly as calling him up at this point is I’m pretty stoked. Would much rather waited a month and contolled him for an extra season and given Kila a little more time. Hos only played 26 or so games at AAA and has only a few more AA and AAA AB’s that Kila has Pro AB’s. Trust the Process.

4. Tyree Studio - May 6, 2011 at 4:16 PM

He’s eligible for arbitration sooner. It doesn’t mean the team loses control.

The Super 2 rule is likely to be done away with in the next CBA making the call-up timing irrelevant.

5. policyopinions - May 6, 2011 at 4:31 PM

Yeah, my girlfriend’s in for an entertaining Friday night with me “sitting at the computer all night” ahahah!!! And I’ll be watching the Royals.

Does anyone want to win the NL wild card?
  1. M. Cuddyer (2958)