May 6, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
I’m rather excited about Eric Hosmer’s callup. He’s the first stud prospect of the season whose debut game will force me to tell my wife that I can’t watch a movie with her that evening because I have to watch some 21-year-old who doesn’t even play for my favorite team hit. It’s always a special time of year when that happens.
Tonight he debuts against Gio Gonzalez, which should be a pretty tough test. They’re both lefties, and Gonzalez has tuned up lefties to the tune of .220/.289/.317 so far this year. He’s also batting sixth, so he’s following in Jason Heyward‘s footsteps a “dude who’s too good to bat sixth.” Though, yeah, I guess we shouldn’t think too hard about that given that Hosmer has exactly zero major league at bats in his life.
The game is at 8:10 PM Eastern for those non-Royals/A’s fans who have MLB.TV or Extra Innings and want to watch someone who could be a very special player in the making.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 56
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 95
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)