May 6, 2011, 7:20 PM EST
MASN’s Roch Kubatko reports that 2010 first-round pick Manny Machado will likely go on the minor league disabled list with a left knee injury sustained in Thursday’s game for low Single-A Delmarva.
The 18-year-old Machado was hurt on the basepaths while attempting to tag up on a flyball. Kubatko says that an MRI showed a patella subluxation (i.e. his kneecap came out of place). It shouldn’t require surgery, but odds are that he’ll need at least a week off.
Machado has been one of the top performers in the minors to date, hitting .333/.450/.611 with five homers and 21 RBI in 25 games for Delmarva. Though he’s one of the youngest players in the Sally League, he’s already made quite a case for a promotion to high-A ball. His name belongs on any list of the game’s top 10 prospects.
- Recapping the Winter Meetings and looking ahead to the rest of the offseason 15
- Could baseball return to Montreal? 45
- Report: Rockies nearing a multi-year deal with Boone Logan 5
- Highlights from the Robinson Cano news conference 35
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 31
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)