May 6, 2011, 7:20 PM EDT
MASN’s Roch Kubatko reports that 2010 first-round pick Manny Machado will likely go on the minor league disabled list with a left knee injury sustained in Thursday’s game for low Single-A Delmarva.
The 18-year-old Machado was hurt on the basepaths while attempting to tag up on a flyball. Kubatko says that an MRI showed a patella subluxation (i.e. his kneecap came out of place). It shouldn’t require surgery, but odds are that he’ll need at least a week off.
Machado has been one of the top performers in the minors to date, hitting .333/.450/.611 with five homers and 21 RBI in 25 games for Delmarva. Though he’s one of the youngest players in the Sally League, he’s already made quite a case for a promotion to high-A ball. His name belongs on any list of the game’s top 10 prospects.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)