May 6, 2011, 7:20 PM EST
MASN’s Roch Kubatko reports that 2010 first-round pick Manny Machado will likely go on the minor league disabled list with a left knee injury sustained in Thursday’s game for low Single-A Delmarva.
The 18-year-old Machado was hurt on the basepaths while attempting to tag up on a flyball. Kubatko says that an MRI showed a patella subluxation (i.e. his kneecap came out of place). It shouldn’t require surgery, but odds are that he’ll need at least a week off.
Machado has been one of the top performers in the minors to date, hitting .333/.450/.611 with five homers and 21 RBI in 25 games for Delmarva. Though he’s one of the youngest players in the Sally League, he’s already made quite a case for a promotion to high-A ball. His name belongs on any list of the game’s top 10 prospects.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 303
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (303)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)