May 6, 2011, 7:20 PM EDT
MASN’s Roch Kubatko reports that 2010 first-round pick Manny Machado will likely go on the minor league disabled list with a left knee injury sustained in Thursday’s game for low Single-A Delmarva.
The 18-year-old Machado was hurt on the basepaths while attempting to tag up on a flyball. Kubatko says that an MRI showed a patella subluxation (i.e. his kneecap came out of place). It shouldn’t require surgery, but odds are that he’ll need at least a week off.
Machado has been one of the top performers in the minors to date, hitting .333/.450/.611 with five homers and 21 RBI in 25 games for Delmarva. Though he’s one of the youngest players in the Sally League, he’s already made quite a case for a promotion to high-A ball. His name belongs on any list of the game’s top 10 prospects.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 47
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 28
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)