May 6, 2011, 7:20 PM EDT
MASN’s Roch Kubatko reports that 2010 first-round pick Manny Machado will likely go on the minor league disabled list with a left knee injury sustained in Thursday’s game for low Single-A Delmarva.
The 18-year-old Machado was hurt on the basepaths while attempting to tag up on a flyball. Kubatko says that an MRI showed a patella subluxation (i.e. his kneecap came out of place). It shouldn’t require surgery, but odds are that he’ll need at least a week off.
Machado has been one of the top performers in the minors to date, hitting .333/.450/.611 with five homers and 21 RBI in 25 games for Delmarva. Though he’s one of the youngest players in the Sally League, he’s already made quite a case for a promotion to high-A ball. His name belongs on any list of the game’s top 10 prospects.
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 10
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 72
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 53
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 23
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 87
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)