May 6, 2011, 8:11 PM EST
Terry Francona was tossed from Friday’s game and likely will be banned for a game or two after coming out to argue a balk call against the Twins.
The call by Angel Hernandez appeared to be correct. Tim Wakefield tried the fake-to-third-throw-to-first move and it worked, as Denard Span took off for second and was picked off. Wakefield, though, didn’t follow through with the original move to third before spinning and firing to first, drawing the run-scoring balk.
Francona came out and was immeidiately tossed, since it’s against the rules for managers to argue a balk.
But that was far from the end it.
Crew chief Joe West decided to interject himself in between Francona and Hernandez, who chose to ignore Francona entirely after tossing him. West and Francona bumped chests (and guts, in West’s case) several times before Francona finally left the field (minus his gum).
The end result will likely be a suspension for Francona, though West seemed to instigate most of the bumping himself. The cowboy is at least as worthy of being sat down for a few games as is Boston’s manager.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 322
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (328)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)