May 6, 2011, 8:11 PM EDT
Terry Francona was tossed from Friday’s game and likely will be banned for a game or two after coming out to argue a balk call against the Twins.
The call by Angel Hernandez appeared to be correct. Tim Wakefield tried the fake-to-third-throw-to-first move and it worked, as Denard Span took off for second and was picked off. Wakefield, though, didn’t follow through with the original move to third before spinning and firing to first, drawing the run-scoring balk.
Francona came out and was immeidiately tossed, since it’s against the rules for managers to argue a balk.
But that was far from the end it.
Crew chief Joe West decided to interject himself in between Francona and Hernandez, who chose to ignore Francona entirely after tossing him. West and Francona bumped chests (and guts, in West’s case) several times before Francona finally left the field (minus his gum).
The end result will likely be a suspension for Francona, though West seemed to instigate most of the bumping himself. The cowboy is at least as worthy of being sat down for a few games as is Boston’s manager.
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 3
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 81
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 59
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 15
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 27
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 65
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (87)