May 6, 2011, 8:11 PM EDT
Terry Francona was tossed from Friday’s game and likely will be banned for a game or two after coming out to argue a balk call against the Twins.
The call by Angel Hernandez appeared to be correct. Tim Wakefield tried the fake-to-third-throw-to-first move and it worked, as Denard Span took off for second and was picked off. Wakefield, though, didn’t follow through with the original move to third before spinning and firing to first, drawing the run-scoring balk.
Francona came out and was immeidiately tossed, since it’s against the rules for managers to argue a balk.
But that was far from the end it.
Crew chief Joe West decided to interject himself in between Francona and Hernandez, who chose to ignore Francona entirely after tossing him. West and Francona bumped chests (and guts, in West’s case) several times before Francona finally left the field (minus his gum).
The end result will likely be a suspension for Francona, though West seemed to instigate most of the bumping himself. The cowboy is at least as worthy of being sat down for a few games as is Boston’s manager.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 68
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)