May 6, 2011, 8:11 PM EDT
Terry Francona was tossed from Friday’s game and likely will be banned for a game or two after coming out to argue a balk call against the Twins.
The call by Angel Hernandez appeared to be correct. Tim Wakefield tried the fake-to-third-throw-to-first move and it worked, as Denard Span took off for second and was picked off. Wakefield, though, didn’t follow through with the original move to third before spinning and firing to first, drawing the run-scoring balk.
Francona came out and was immeidiately tossed, since it’s against the rules for managers to argue a balk.
But that was far from the end it.
Crew chief Joe West decided to interject himself in between Francona and Hernandez, who chose to ignore Francona entirely after tossing him. West and Francona bumped chests (and guts, in West’s case) several times before Francona finally left the field (minus his gum).
The end result will likely be a suspension for Francona, though West seemed to instigate most of the bumping himself. The cowboy is at least as worthy of being sat down for a few games as is Boston’s manager.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 28
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 12
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 40
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut