Roy Halladay has dominated the NL East since joining Phillies

May 6, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

Roy Halladay AP

Todd Zolecki of MLB.com passes along a remarkable statistic about Roy Halladay: Since joining the Phillies last season he’s 18-1 with a 1.56 ERA in 19 starts against NL East teams.

Pretty crazy.

To put that in some context, consider that the Phillies are 56-33 (.629) against the NL East during that time. They are 18-1 (.947) when Halladay starts and 38-32 (.543) when anyone else starts.

Last night Halladay beat the Nationals with seven innings of two-run ball, striking out 10 and walking none to improve to 5-1 with a 2.19 ERA and 57/7 K/BB ratio in 54 innings overall this season.

1. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 6, 2011 at 10:59 AM

I hate math.

2. BC - May 6, 2011 at 11:15 AM

This Halladay kid, he shows some promise. I think he’s gonna be agood one….

3. hnirobert3 - May 6, 2011 at 11:35 AM

“Math is hard” – Kevin Malone

4. Phillies Homer - May 6, 2011 at 11:42 AM

Shouldn’t the headline actually read, “Roy Halladay has dominated MLB since joining the league?”

• cur68 - May 6, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Yes. That’s exactly right. With the Jays he had to play on teams that were offensively anemic in a real tough division while being the only decent pitcher on the team. So he never got to play for a club that had a chance. The Phills might be as anemic at times but the division is WAY weaker and his supporting cast are, as has been stated ad nauseum, ridiculously good in their own right.

The only plus for us bitter Jays fans is he gets to bat now. It does my sorry old heart good seeing him suck at something. In all other respects; we still love us some Roy.

• Utley's Hair - May 6, 2011 at 1:29 PM

“Ad nauseum,” beaver boy? Have you been eating pie?

• Jonny 5 - May 6, 2011 at 2:00 PM

I’m naming my next dog Royroycliffycole

• Utley's Hair - May 6, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Yet again, Big Joe is left out of the mix. :(

• cur68 - May 6, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Blanton would be good name for a cat. He’s just about as useful as one.

5. Jonny 5 - May 6, 2011 at 11:49 AM

He puzzled and puzzed till his puzzler was sore. Then the Doc thought of something he hadn’t before. Maybe this time, I’ll cutter them some more???

• Utley's Hair - May 6, 2011 at 11:57 AM

So now Doc is Grinchy Claus?

• Jonny 5 - May 6, 2011 at 12:06 PM

Yes the He’s very stingy. He must seem awfully Grinch-ish to the batters.

• Chris Fiorentino - May 6, 2011 at 12:53 PM

I was in the only bad seats at CBP last night, the last row of the last section in CF. Couldn’t see most of Right Field, but I could see Halladay throwing cutter after cutter. Didn’t like his pitch count rising and I was glad they built a big lead so Uncle Cholly wasn’t tempted to let him throw 150 pitches in a close game.

I agree with an earlier poster…Halladay has dominated the [Everyone] since joining [MLB]

• Jonny 5 - May 6, 2011 at 1:24 PM

Sounds like a good game to see though. Last time I went, I had awesome seats but on top of Roy being beat by the Brew crew, I also was rained on.

• Chris Fiorentino - May 6, 2011 at 1:40 PM

I wore shorts like a dumb-ass, so I was freezing my balls off. I was hoping for one of those 2 hour games from Halladay and he was all over the place once they got the 6-0 lead. That layoff between the bottom 3rd and top 4th definitely got him rusty for an inning or two, then he just decided…F IT…these are the Gnats for Christ’s Sake and went medieval on their asses in the 5th, 6th and 7th.

• Jonny 5 - May 6, 2011 at 2:02 PM

I always over dress. I done been learned already. If I get hot I shed some layers no big deal.

6. missthemexpos - May 6, 2011 at 11:50 AM

Still miss Roy Halladay wearing the Blue Jay uniform, 100% class act and a pretty good ball player too.

7. aceshigh11 - May 6, 2011 at 12:24 PM

The guy’s incredible.

As a Sox fan, I miss having him in the AL East, simply because watching him pitch is such a pleasure.

8. diehardcubbiefan4life - May 6, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Its the power of that delivery. Seen Charlie Morton turn his career around with it?

Final take away from World Series