Roy Oswalt scratched from Saturday start with back soreness

May 6, 2011, 3:54 PM EDT

roy-oswalt-and-trainer-phillies AP

Roy Oswalt rejoined the Phillies yesterday after leaving the team to be with his family in Mississippi following last week’s tornadoes and was expected to start Saturday, but Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that he’s been scratched from the start.

Oswalt is apparently still dealing with back soreness and could be headed for the disabled list, according to Salisbury.

In the meantime Kyle Kendrick will take his place tomorrow versus the Braves. Oswalt hasn’t pitched since April 26, when he allowed five runs in three innings and failed to record a strikeout against Arizona.

1. Jonny 5 - May 6, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Kendrick!!! ???? Rut roe.

• Utley's Hair - May 6, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Until he is (God forbid) DL-ed, I’m not exactly worried…yet. Aside from that one implosion, KK hasn’t been as atrocious as he was. They just need to keep the scoring going, which also means that Hamels most likely won’t get any support again on Sunday.

—sigh—

• Jonny 5 - May 6, 2011 at 4:32 PM

It’ll be interesting to say the least. Heyward should probably tee off on Kendrick a bit.

• spudchukar - May 6, 2011 at 5:03 PM

I gotta give kudos for your optimism, “…hasn’t been as atrocious as he was”, is, quite possibly, the most back-handed compliment I have heard in a while.

2. mgormley617 - May 6, 2011 at 4:23 PM

Kendrick though? Really? Dammit.

3. Gobias Industries - May 6, 2011 at 4:57 PM

Oh please, oh please, let this have nothing to do with that whole bulldozing his family’s property thingy. Because if it turns out that he threw out his back moving a tree stump or something, then you know that “halladaysbicep(t)s” guy is going to come back and say stuff like “I told you so, idiots,” “You’re all a bunch of douchebags,” and “I forgot to take my Thorazine this morning” and I don’t think I could stomach that.

• cur68 - May 6, 2011 at 5:02 PM

Easy Gobias. Oswalt showed signs of back problems before he left to play Paul Bunyan. Even halladasbicepts (I’m sticking with the traditional spelling; its what he would want since he’s a traditionalist) should know that.

4. aceshigh11 - May 6, 2011 at 7:33 PM

That’s a bummer…people tend to forget that Halladay, Lee and Oswalt aren’t exactly young, and Lee and Oswalt have both had periodic back problems.

Hopefully for Phillies fans, this is just a minor speedbump.

Orioles turn AL East on its head