May 6, 2011, 9:14 AM EST
One of the better developments of the early season has been the return of The Fightins. It’s a great Phillies blog that had gone on hiatus for a while. I missed them because they are one of the few Phillies voices out there that doesn’t obsess about how the world views Philly. Rather, they actually, you know, seem to have a lot of fun watching a great baseball team and don’t cry if someone disrespects the blog’s namesake. What a concept.
Oh, and then they do stuff like unleash The Elusive Citizens Bank Park Dumpster Hippie. Which is pretty much what it sounds like. And be sure to read the second comment.
In other news, the Braves head to Philly for a big series this weekend. If Atlanta is going to at least try to make a race of it it’s pretty important that they do well. If you’re looking for a nice preview of it, you can start at Crashburn Alley, who talks to Braves blogger Peter Hjort about the series.
My personal view: life is always better when the Bravos miss Roy Halladay. Life is always worse when they face Cole Hamels. It’s not like there are a lot of good options in matching up, however. That said, I like the way Atlanta is playing right now a hell of a lot better than they were the last time these two met.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 17
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 32
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 110
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 45
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 16
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (111)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)