May 7, 2011, 9:58 AM EST
The White Sox haven’t made a final decision, but pitching coach Don Cooper told Scott Merkin of MLB.com yesterday that Jake Peavy could be activated from the disabled list to start Wednesday against the Angels.
“We’ll have a sideline and see,” said White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper of the plans for Peavy once he arrives. “Nothing is definite. We haven’t sat down and spoke about it. But it looks good for the 11th.”
Peavy threw 100 pitches while giving up five runs over seven innings Thursday in his latest minor league rehab start with Triple-A Charlotte. He hasn’t pitched in the majors since undergoing a unique procedure to repair a detached lat muscle near his right shoulder last July.
The interesting angle of his pending return is that Phil Humber has made a strong case to stay in the starting rotation. He gave up two runs on three hits over seven innings against the Mariners last night and now has a 2.65 ERA over six starts this season.
Following last night’s loss to the Mariners, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com that he’s lobbying for Humber to stay.
“He’s staying in the rotation; he has to stay,” Guillen said, moments after Humber gave up two runs over seven innings Friday against the Mariners. “I don’t think we are going to see anything different. When Jake comes in the rotation, we will talk to [GM] Kenny [Williams] and [pitching coach Don Cooper] to see what we are going to do. But this kid has earned and deserves to be in the rotation.”
It’s possible that the White Sox will go with a six-man rotation initially, but Humber will likely be bullpen-bound once his unsustainably low batting average on balls in play (.202) regresses to the mean.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 377
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)