May 7, 2011, 9:58 AM EDT
The White Sox haven’t made a final decision, but pitching coach Don Cooper told Scott Merkin of MLB.com yesterday that Jake Peavy could be activated from the disabled list to start Wednesday against the Angels.
“We’ll have a sideline and see,” said White Sox pitching coach Don Cooper of the plans for Peavy once he arrives. “Nothing is definite. We haven’t sat down and spoke about it. But it looks good for the 11th.”
Peavy threw 100 pitches while giving up five runs over seven innings Thursday in his latest minor league rehab start with Triple-A Charlotte. He hasn’t pitched in the majors since undergoing a unique procedure to repair a detached lat muscle near his right shoulder last July.
The interesting angle of his pending return is that Phil Humber has made a strong case to stay in the starting rotation. He gave up two runs on three hits over seven innings against the Mariners last night and now has a 2.65 ERA over six starts this season.
Following last night’s loss to the Mariners, White Sox manager Ozzie Guillen told Doug Padilla of ESPNChicago.com that he’s lobbying for Humber to stay.
“He’s staying in the rotation; he has to stay,” Guillen said, moments after Humber gave up two runs over seven innings Friday against the Mariners. “I don’t think we are going to see anything different. When Jake comes in the rotation, we will talk to [GM] Kenny [Williams] and [pitching coach Don Cooper] to see what we are going to do. But this kid has earned and deserves to be in the rotation.”
It’s possible that the White Sox will go with a six-man rotation initially, but Humber will likely be bullpen-bound once his unsustainably low batting average on balls in play (.202) regresses to the mean.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 74
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 83
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 60
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 53
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 20
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11