May 7, 2011, 8:47 PM EDT
20-year-old Julio Teheran may have turned some heads in his first major league start Saturday, but he won’t come away with a win after allowing three runs in 4 2/3 innings against the Phillies.
Teheran allowed one run through three innings before Ryan Howard took him way out to right-center in the fourth. The fifth started with consecutive outs, but a four-pitch walk to Jimmy Rollins followed and Shane Victorino then delivered an RBI triple to knock Teheran out of the game.
While Teheran couldn’t deliver a quality start, he showed why he’s so highly regarded. He worked at 91-94 mph in the game and he had nice location of a low-80s changeup. He wasn’t very effective with his curve, in part because he didn’t get into a lot of two-strike counts. He recorded just one strikeout, that of Raul Ibanez in the fourth.
Teheran was just called up for the one start, and he’s expected to be sent back down to Triple-A Gwinnett on Sunday. Based on his showing tonight, the Braves won’t be afraid to go back to him if they lose a starter to injury. However, given that they also have Mike Minor waiting in the wings, there’s a good chance Teheran won’t be back until after the All-Star break.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)