May 7, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
The Nationals placed center fielder Rick Ankiel on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained right wrist following last night’s win over the Marlins.
Ankiel hasn’t played since since jamming his wrist while attempting to make some diving catches in the outfield during Monday’s game against the Giants.
An MRI on Ankiel’s wrist came back negative, but Nationals manager Jim Riggleman told Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post that they couldn’t go short-handed on their bench any longer.
“He just is not feeling well enough to hit, and we’re just so short-handed,” Riggleman said. “Morse is kind of limping around. We just can’t continue to go a man short. We just got to get a healthy body and let Rick Ankiel get healthy.”
Ankiel, who signed a one-year, $1.5 million contract over the winter, is batting .221/.302/.288 with one home run, seven RBI and a .590 OPS over his first 118 plate appearances this season, including a .203 clip over 74 at-bats against right-handed pitching.
Roger Bernadina was recalled from Triple-A Syracuse to replace Ankiel on the active roster and has a legitimate chance to take away the starting center field job.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)