May 7, 2011, 5:05 PM EDT
Be honest, you knew this was coming.
Cruz hasn’t played since leaving Tuesday night’s game against the Mariners. He has reported some improvement in recent days, but the Rangers decided to play it safe after receiving results of an MRI exam earlier today. Because the DL-stint is backdated, Cruz is eligible to return as soon as May 19.
Cruz is batting .219/.303/.439 with seven home runs and 19 RBI over his first 119 plate appearances this season. The 30-year-old outfielder made headlines by homering in four straight games to begin the season, but it’s been all downhill since then. He goes on the DL hitless over his last 14 at-bats.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)