May 7, 2011, 5:05 PM EST
Be honest, you knew this was coming.
Cruz hasn’t played since leaving Tuesday night’s game against the Mariners. He has reported some improvement in recent days, but the Rangers decided to play it safe after receiving results of an MRI exam earlier today. Because the DL-stint is backdated, Cruz is eligible to return as soon as May 19.
Cruz is batting .219/.303/.439 with seven home runs and 19 RBI over his first 119 plate appearances this season. The 30-year-old outfielder made headlines by homering in four straight games to begin the season, but it’s been all downhill since then. He goes on the DL hitless over his last 14 at-bats.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)