May 7, 2011, 5:05 PM EDT
Be honest, you knew this was coming.
Cruz hasn’t played since leaving Tuesday night’s game against the Mariners. He has reported some improvement in recent days, but the Rangers decided to play it safe after receiving results of an MRI exam earlier today. Because the DL-stint is backdated, Cruz is eligible to return as soon as May 19.
Cruz is batting .219/.303/.439 with seven home runs and 19 RBI over his first 119 plate appearances this season. The 30-year-old outfielder made headlines by homering in four straight games to begin the season, but it’s been all downhill since then. He goes on the DL hitless over his last 14 at-bats.
- Nationals place Stephen Strasburg on the 15-day disabled list with neck tightness 2
- Jerry Dior, designer of MLB’s iconic logo, has passed away 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base 118
- Video: Josh Hamilton hits his first home run of the season 16
- Rockies starter Chad Bettis loses his no-hitter in the eighth inning 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start in the second inning with an apparent injury 5
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit 78
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (119)
- The Big Unit: Wide Angle Watcher (90)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (89)
- Chipper Jones will fight you if you insult his “girl” (85)
- More than half of polled baseball fans prefer having the pitcher hit (78)