May 7, 2011, 5:05 PM EST
Be honest, you knew this was coming.
Cruz hasn’t played since leaving Tuesday night’s game against the Mariners. He has reported some improvement in recent days, but the Rangers decided to play it safe after receiving results of an MRI exam earlier today. Because the DL-stint is backdated, Cruz is eligible to return as soon as May 19.
Cruz is batting .219/.303/.439 with seven home runs and 19 RBI over his first 119 plate appearances this season. The 30-year-old outfielder made headlines by homering in four straight games to begin the season, but it’s been all downhill since then. He goes on the DL hitless over his last 14 at-bats.
- Report: Two agents rumbled in the parking lot at the Winter Meetings 20
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 38
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 45
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 27
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 35
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)