May 7, 2011, 5:05 PM EDT
Be honest, you knew this was coming.
Cruz hasn’t played since leaving Tuesday night’s game against the Mariners. He has reported some improvement in recent days, but the Rangers decided to play it safe after receiving results of an MRI exam earlier today. Because the DL-stint is backdated, Cruz is eligible to return as soon as May 19.
Cruz is batting .219/.303/.439 with seven home runs and 19 RBI over his first 119 plate appearances this season. The 30-year-old outfielder made headlines by homering in four straight games to begin the season, but it’s been all downhill since then. He goes on the DL hitless over his last 14 at-bats.
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)