May 7, 2011, 6:05 PM EDT
6:43 p.m. EDT: No-hitter! Davis swings and misses at a slider off the plate to end it.
6:41 p.m. EDT: McDonald hits a soft grounder to second for the second out. Verlander dove for it, lucky not to deflect it to the side and turn it into a hit. Rajai Davis up.
6:39 p.m. EDT: Cooper pops up the first pitch he sees, a 97-mph fastball. One out.
6:38 p.m. EDT: The Tigers scored twice in the top of the ninth, giving Verlander plenty of time to think about things. He’s back on the mound now. Cooper up.
6:30 p.m. EDT: If he gets through the ninth, Verlander would join Mark Buehrle as the only active pitchers with multiple no-hitters. One could add Roy Halladay to the list, but his second no-hitter came in the postseason. Verlander’s previous no-hitter came June 12, 2007 against the Brewers.
6:20 p.m. EDT: Encarnacion grounds into a double play to end the eighth. Verlander will take a no-hitter into the ninth against David Cooper, John McDonald and Rajai Davis. Their batting averages: .150, .205 and .177.
6:18 p.m. EDT: A terrific at-bat from Arencibia, who works the walk on the 12th pitch from Verlander. He had just missed a double down the left-field line earlier in the at-bat. Perfect game gone, no-hitter intact.
6:07 p.m. EDT: Gallardo lost his bid in the eighth, as Daniel Descalso singled up the middle to begin the inning.
And Verlander’s is a perfect game, as he’s gone 21 up, 21 down against the Blue Jays.
Gallardo is at 104 pitches through seven, having walked four and struck out five Cardinals. He’s working with just a one-run lead, as Kyle Lohse has been strong as well.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)