May 7, 2011, 6:05 PM EDT
6:43 p.m. EDT: No-hitter! Davis swings and misses at a slider off the plate to end it.
6:41 p.m. EDT: McDonald hits a soft grounder to second for the second out. Verlander dove for it, lucky not to deflect it to the side and turn it into a hit. Rajai Davis up.
6:39 p.m. EDT: Cooper pops up the first pitch he sees, a 97-mph fastball. One out.
6:38 p.m. EDT: The Tigers scored twice in the top of the ninth, giving Verlander plenty of time to think about things. He’s back on the mound now. Cooper up.
6:30 p.m. EDT: If he gets through the ninth, Verlander would join Mark Buehrle as the only active pitchers with multiple no-hitters. One could add Roy Halladay to the list, but his second no-hitter came in the postseason. Verlander’s previous no-hitter came June 12, 2007 against the Brewers.
6:20 p.m. EDT: Encarnacion grounds into a double play to end the eighth. Verlander will take a no-hitter into the ninth against David Cooper, John McDonald and Rajai Davis. Their batting averages: .150, .205 and .177.
6:18 p.m. EDT: A terrific at-bat from Arencibia, who works the walk on the 12th pitch from Verlander. He had just missed a double down the left-field line earlier in the at-bat. Perfect game gone, no-hitter intact.
6:07 p.m. EDT: Gallardo lost his bid in the eighth, as Daniel Descalso singled up the middle to begin the inning.
And Verlander’s is a perfect game, as he’s gone 21 up, 21 down against the Blue Jays.
Gallardo is at 104 pitches through seven, having walked four and struck out five Cardinals. He’s working with just a one-run lead, as Kyle Lohse has been strong as well.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 15
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 71
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 13
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 92
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)