May 7, 2011, 6:05 PM EST
6:43 p.m. EDT: No-hitter! Davis swings and misses at a slider off the plate to end it.
6:41 p.m. EDT: McDonald hits a soft grounder to second for the second out. Verlander dove for it, lucky not to deflect it to the side and turn it into a hit. Rajai Davis up.
6:39 p.m. EDT: Cooper pops up the first pitch he sees, a 97-mph fastball. One out.
6:38 p.m. EDT: The Tigers scored twice in the top of the ninth, giving Verlander plenty of time to think about things. He’s back on the mound now. Cooper up.
6:30 p.m. EDT: If he gets through the ninth, Verlander would join Mark Buehrle as the only active pitchers with multiple no-hitters. One could add Roy Halladay to the list, but his second no-hitter came in the postseason. Verlander’s previous no-hitter came June 12, 2007 against the Brewers.
6:20 p.m. EDT: Encarnacion grounds into a double play to end the eighth. Verlander will take a no-hitter into the ninth against David Cooper, John McDonald and Rajai Davis. Their batting averages: .150, .205 and .177.
6:18 p.m. EDT: A terrific at-bat from Arencibia, who works the walk on the 12th pitch from Verlander. He had just missed a double down the left-field line earlier in the at-bat. Perfect game gone, no-hitter intact.
6:07 p.m. EDT: Gallardo lost his bid in the eighth, as Daniel Descalso singled up the middle to begin the inning.
And Verlander’s is a perfect game, as he’s gone 21 up, 21 down against the Blue Jays.
Gallardo is at 104 pitches through seven, having walked four and struck out five Cardinals. He’s working with just a one-run lead, as Kyle Lohse has been strong as well.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 6
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)