May 8, 2011, 3:00 PM EST
3:10 p.m. EDT – So much for that. Laynce Nix just delivered a line-drive single to right to start the seventh. Mike Stanton got a great jump on the ball and could have had the diving catch, but the ball popped out as his glove hit the ground.
Another day, another no-hitter alert.
Anibal Sanchez, who threw a no-hitter as a rookie for the Marlins five years ago, has held the Nationals hitless through six.
One big problem: he’s at 97 pitches already, meaning he’s going to need a quick seventh inning to have any chance of going the distance.
Sanchez has 10 strikeouts on the day. He hasn’t walked anyone, but he has hit a batter and he had Laynce Nix reach on an Omar Infante error back in the first inning.
Sanchez threw a one-hitter in a 4-1 complete-game victory over the Rockies back on April 22. It’s his only win so far this season, though he entered the day with a respectable 4.15 ERA.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)