May 8, 2011, 9:35 AM EDT
As expected, the Blue Jays have activated second baseman Aaron Hill from the 15-day disabled list in time for Sunday afternoon’s game against the Tigers. Mike McCoy was optioned back to Triple-A Las Vegas to clear a 25-man roster spot.
Hill spent a little over two weeks nursing a right hamstring injury before heading out on a minor league rehab assignment last Thursday. He played in two games at Single-A Dunedin, going 1-for-6 with a walk, an RBI, and two runs scored.
The powerful but streaky 29-year-old will return to a poor .242/.265/.290 big league batting line. He hasn’t homered in 68 plate appearances this season and has tallied just nine RBI. The Blue Jays, who currently sit four games back of the Rays and Yankees in the American League East standings, will hope that Hill can get back on track quickly.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (85)