May 8, 2011, 9:35 AM EDT
As expected, the Blue Jays have activated second baseman Aaron Hill from the 15-day disabled list in time for Sunday afternoon’s game against the Tigers. Mike McCoy was optioned back to Triple-A Las Vegas to clear a 25-man roster spot.
Hill spent a little over two weeks nursing a right hamstring injury before heading out on a minor league rehab assignment last Thursday. He played in two games at Single-A Dunedin, going 1-for-6 with a walk, an RBI, and two runs scored.
The powerful but streaky 29-year-old will return to a poor .242/.265/.290 big league batting line. He hasn’t homered in 68 plate appearances this season and has tallied just nine RBI. The Blue Jays, who currently sit four games back of the Rays and Yankees in the American League East standings, will hope that Hill can get back on track quickly.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 5
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 7
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 17
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 58
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 26
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)