Derek Jeter homers! Twice! Also, Ron Washington is not a genius

May 8, 2011, 4:10 PM EDT

New York Yankees v Texas Rangers Getty Images

4:30 p.m. EDT - From 257 at-bats between homers to… ummm… zero at-bats between homers.  Jeter went deep again, this time against Arthur Rhodes, in the seventh inning.

///

Derek Jeter hit his first homer in 63 games dating back to last August when he took Dave Bush deep in the fifth inning of Sunday’s game against the Rangers.

Of course, it came against a pitcher he never should have been facing for a third time on the day.

Bush, who had pitched just four times in the Rangers’ first 34 games, was called on today to make a spot start because of Alexi Ogando‘s blister.  He did his job, limiting the Yankees to two runs over the first four innings, but he allowed Jeter to go 2-for-2 in the process.

With those two hits, Jeter improved to 6-for-12 lifetime against Bush, begging the question of what Bush was still doing out there when Jeter came up to lead off the fifth.

Bush was pulled immediately after the homer, so it’s not like Ron Washington was caught unaware.  He knew there was a good chance he’d be turning to the bullpen in the fifth inning; he just blew it by not starting the inning with a reliever.

The blast ended the longest homerless drought of Jeter’s career (257 at-bats).  One of his previous hits also drove in a run, making this his first multi-RBI game of the year.  It’s the second time he’s had at least three hits.

1. jimbo1949 - May 8, 2011 at 4:40 PM

UPDATE: 2nd HR in 7th, now 4/4 on the day. ????????????????

• jimbo1949 - May 8, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Bat looks black to me.

• Matthew Pouliot - May 8, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Ugh. You’re right. Edited out.

2. Gobias Industries - May 8, 2011 at 5:04 PM

mofo is clearly pro-breast cancer.

3. Glenn - May 8, 2011 at 5:10 PM

It’s not like eleven at-bats is much of a sample size and I don’t think anyone has been afraid of Jeter at the plate this season.

4. professor59 - May 8, 2011 at 5:46 PM

Jeter can thank me personally for the 4 for 4 day. I basically guaranteed it by cutting him outright from my fantasy team.

Let me know if you’d like it to rain – I can wash my car in your driveway…

5. uyf1950 - May 8, 2011 at 6:03 PM

WOW. Says it all. Jeter 2 HR’s and even Cervelli with 1. Great way for the Yankees to end a rather uninspired road trip and head back to Yankees Stadium for the Royals.

As a side note. The Yankees left on this road trip in 1st place and even though you couldn’t tell from their record these 7 games 3-4 they return home in 1st place. Granted it’s by the slimmest of margins just percentage points. But nevertheless still 1st place. BTW, the Rays were really the only AL East team to make up any ground on the Yankees these last 7 days.

The Yankees are back in the friendly confines of Yankee Stadium for the next several games.

6. uyf1950 - May 8, 2011 at 7:05 PM

Should inquiring minds want to know the last time Jeter had 2 HR’s in one game was June 12, 2010 versus Houston (in 2010 he hit a total of 10 HR’s).

• pisano - May 8, 2011 at 7:27 PM

uyf1950… my friend, maybe most people including myself are wrong about Jeter. Hopefully the early season slump was just that, a slump. We can only hope this is the start of his turn around. I personally am hoping for a .275 to .285 season as that would be respectful for a SS at his age. I predicted .260 at the start of the season, but I’ll gladly say I was too hasty in writing him off if he continues on with his hitting.

• uyf1950 - May 8, 2011 at 7:39 PM

My friend. I too welcome the “new” Jeter. While I’m not from Missouri I still need to be shown. And to be fair game or even one week doesn’t do it for me. If he keeps this up for a few weeks say till early June I’ll be one of the first one’s to admit that I may have been hasty. As for wrong, I don’t think so. Three years plus an option year is still too long of a contract for a soon to be 37 year old SS.
        That’s just my opinion. We’ll have to wait and see.

7. frankvzappa - May 8, 2011 at 8:29 PM

sun shines on a dogs ass every once in a while…

8. Old Gator - May 8, 2011 at 9:58 PM

Len? You out there? Need some fresh batteries for your pacemaker?

9. txrangers90 - May 9, 2011 at 12:22 AM

10. pisano - May 9, 2011 at 12:53 AM

uyf1950… I totally agree with the contract being toooo long. I thought a year at a time would have been the way to go, but I think the Yankees felt if they played hardball with him they would hear it from the fans. If he takes a crap this year he (Jeter) will hear it from the fans.Time will tell, but I do like your take on Reyes although I haven’t seen very much of him with him being with the Mets.

• uyf1950 - May 9, 2011 at 5:29 AM

My friend. While I like the idea that Jeter may not and I want to say that again, <bmay not wind up being as bad as many of us anticipated. His contract is still a major concern. The way I see it. If he has a decent year while that would be very good that would prohibit the Yankees from making a play for Reyes if he is available and that I think would be a mistake. Because the only FA SS I see that is or will be available that might be of interest to the Yankees is Erick Aybar…and he may or may not still be available when the time comes. That’s just my opinion.

• uyf1950 - May 9, 2011 at 5:32 AM

oops. should have said “Because the only FA SS I see that is or will be available come 2013 that might be of interest to the Yankees is Erick Aybar…”

Sorry.

11. airedale1950 - May 9, 2011 at 4:34 AM

Hey Pouliot and the rest of all you baseball ‘xpurts’ …whatsamatter…Jeter still your gurl, or the coon hound you been doing?
    All of you guys should accomplish 1/16 of what he has in the last 15 years.

Hell, Matthew Pouliot might even be a name people actually recognize in legitimate sports journalism circles instead of on Blog world for Internet Losers. NBC might even let you on the air on the Monday 3AM sports report!
    Don’t worry Mathew, frankvzappa is holding your old fry cutter job at burgerwhopper if this gig continues to go poorly for you.

12. marinersnate - May 9, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Well, this obviously means His Captianship will recieve the 2011 Silver Slugger AND the the 2011 Gold Glove.

Three legends off to Cooperstown