May 8, 2011, 7:58 PM EDT
A day after placing Rick Ankiel on the disabled list and calling up Roger Bernadina, the Nationals added an outfielder in a trade with the Royals, picking up Gregor Blanco for a player to be named.
Blanco was immediately assigned to Triple-A Syracuse.
The 27-year-old Blanco did solid work for the Braves and Royals last season, hitting .283/.360/.367 with 11 steals in 237 at-bats. However, Kansas City declined to carry him out of spring training after signing a couple of other ex-Braves, Jeff Francoeur and Melky Cabrera, over the winter.
Assigned to Triple-A Omaha after clearing waivers at the end of March, Blanco had struggled this season, hitting .196/.284/.286 in 56 at-bats. He did have 17 walks and nine steals for the Storm Chasers.
Unfortunately, that 570 OPS fits right in at Syracuse. Corey Brown, the Nationals’ lone actual outfield prospect in the upper minors, is hitting just .202/.280/.345 in 84 at-bats. The team’s other two outfielders, Jeff Frazier (.143/.196/.238 in 105 AB) and Boomer Whiting (.167/.250/.185 in 54 AB), were playing even worse.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)