May 8, 2011, 7:58 PM EST
A day after placing Rick Ankiel on the disabled list and calling up Roger Bernadina, the Nationals added an outfielder in a trade with the Royals, picking up Gregor Blanco for a player to be named.
Blanco was immediately assigned to Triple-A Syracuse.
The 27-year-old Blanco did solid work for the Braves and Royals last season, hitting .283/.360/.367 with 11 steals in 237 at-bats. However, Kansas City declined to carry him out of spring training after signing a couple of other ex-Braves, Jeff Francoeur and Melky Cabrera, over the winter.
Assigned to Triple-A Omaha after clearing waivers at the end of March, Blanco had struggled this season, hitting .196/.284/.286 in 56 at-bats. He did have 17 walks and nine steals for the Storm Chasers.
Unfortunately, that 570 OPS fits right in at Syracuse. Corey Brown, the Nationals’ lone actual outfield prospect in the upper minors, is hitting just .202/.280/.345 in 84 at-bats. The team’s other two outfielders, Jeff Frazier (.143/.196/.238 in 105 AB) and Boomer Whiting (.167/.250/.185 in 54 AB), were playing even worse.
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano 76
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)