May 8, 2011, 4:44 PM EST
Marlins outfielder Logan Morrison will be examined by a team doctor this afternoon. If everything checks out with his strained left foot, he could be cleared to begin a rehab assignment as soon as Monday.
According to Joe Frisaro of MLB.com, Morrison has been taking batting practice for about a week and was able to run the bases Sunday morning without any abnormal pain or discomfort.
The Marlins are hoping that their 23-year-old left fielder will be ready in time for next weekend’s series against the Nationals in the nation’s capital.
Morrison opened the season with a .327/.424/.636 batting line, four home runs and 11 RBI through his first 15 games. Emilio Bonifacio has been drawing regular starts in left over the past couple of weeks.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 255
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (280)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)