May 8, 2011, 7:35 PM EDT
After spending 10 days on the active roster but unable to play, Carlos Ruiz was finally shelved by the Phillies prior to Sunday night’s game, going on the DL to make room for the returning Joe Blanton.
Although Blanton isn’t starting until Monday, the Phillies made the move tonight because 10 days is as far as a DL move can be backdated.
Ruiz left the Phillies’ game on April 27 with leg pain. The Phillies said the cause was lower back inflammation, and he’s been considered day-to-day ever since. He resumed swinging on Wednesday, and though his condition has improved, the Phillies didn’t see him starting a game within the next few days.
Ruiz will be eligible to come off the DL on Friday, and the hope is that he’ll be ready then. Brian Schneider and Dane Sardinha will continue to fill in.
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 70
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 47
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 9
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 14
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)