May 8, 2011, 7:35 PM EDT
After spending 10 days on the active roster but unable to play, Carlos Ruiz was finally shelved by the Phillies prior to Sunday night’s game, going on the DL to make room for the returning Joe Blanton.
Although Blanton isn’t starting until Monday, the Phillies made the move tonight because 10 days is as far as a DL move can be backdated.
Ruiz left the Phillies’ game on April 27 with leg pain. The Phillies said the cause was lower back inflammation, and he’s been considered day-to-day ever since. He resumed swinging on Wednesday, and though his condition has improved, the Phillies didn’t see him starting a game within the next few days.
Ruiz will be eligible to come off the DL on Friday, and the hope is that he’ll be ready then. Brian Schneider and Dane Sardinha will continue to fill in.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)