May 8, 2011, 7:35 PM EDT
After spending 10 days on the active roster but unable to play, Carlos Ruiz was finally shelved by the Phillies prior to Sunday night’s game, going on the DL to make room for the returning Joe Blanton.
Although Blanton isn’t starting until Monday, the Phillies made the move tonight because 10 days is as far as a DL move can be backdated.
Ruiz left the Phillies’ game on April 27 with leg pain. The Phillies said the cause was lower back inflammation, and he’s been considered day-to-day ever since. He resumed swinging on Wednesday, and though his condition has improved, the Phillies didn’t see him starting a game within the next few days.
Ruiz will be eligible to come off the DL on Friday, and the hope is that he’ll be ready then. Brian Schneider and Dane Sardinha will continue to fill in.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)