May 8, 2011, 7:35 PM EDT
After spending 10 days on the active roster but unable to play, Carlos Ruiz was finally shelved by the Phillies prior to Sunday night’s game, going on the DL to make room for the returning Joe Blanton.
Although Blanton isn’t starting until Monday, the Phillies made the move tonight because 10 days is as far as a DL move can be backdated.
Ruiz left the Phillies’ game on April 27 with leg pain. The Phillies said the cause was lower back inflammation, and he’s been considered day-to-day ever since. He resumed swinging on Wednesday, and though his condition has improved, the Phillies didn’t see him starting a game within the next few days.
Ruiz will be eligible to come off the DL on Friday, and the hope is that he’ll be ready then. Brian Schneider and Dane Sardinha will continue to fill in.
- Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Dickey goes 8, beats Rays for 2nd straight win
- PST: Mourinho officially leaving Real Madrid
- PHT: Stalberg returns to Hawks' lineup for Game 3
- PHT: Hawks look to boost intensity vs. Wings
- PFT: Brady says he's 'never felt better' throwing the ball
- PFT: Chad Johnson arrested for probation violation