May 8, 2011, 7:35 PM EDT
After spending 10 days on the active roster but unable to play, Carlos Ruiz was finally shelved by the Phillies prior to Sunday night’s game, going on the DL to make room for the returning Joe Blanton.
Although Blanton isn’t starting until Monday, the Phillies made the move tonight because 10 days is as far as a DL move can be backdated.
Ruiz left the Phillies’ game on April 27 with leg pain. The Phillies said the cause was lower back inflammation, and he’s been considered day-to-day ever since. He resumed swinging on Wednesday, and though his condition has improved, the Phillies didn’t see him starting a game within the next few days.
Ruiz will be eligible to come off the DL on Friday, and the hope is that he’ll be ready then. Brian Schneider and Dane Sardinha will continue to fill in.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 77
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 102
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (102)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)