May 8, 2011, 8:49 AM EDT
A major league source told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe on Saturday night that the Red Sox are preparing to place Marco Scutaro on the 15-day disabled list with a “left side injury” and that shortstop prospect Jose Iglesias will be promoted from Triple-A Pawtucket to provide middle infield depth in Scutaro’s absence.
Iglesias, 21, is far from ready for big league action. He’s hit just .253/.278/.253 with zero extra-base hits and 17 strikeouts in 92 plate appearances this year at Triple-A and has committed five errors in 95 fielding chances at shortstop.
In an ideal world, Iglesias would continue marinating in the minor leagues for at least another full season and the Red Sox would turn to someone else for the two or so weeks that Scutaro is sidelined. But 23-year-old infielder Yamaico Navarro just landed on the minor league disabled list with an injury of his own and the organization isn’t exactly flush with quality shortstops.
The move should be made official before Sunday afternoon’s game against the Twins.
UPDATE: Abraham has confirmed it now. Iglesias is on Boston’s 25-man roster.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)