May 8, 2011, 8:49 AM EDT
A major league source told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe on Saturday night that the Red Sox are preparing to place Marco Scutaro on the 15-day disabled list with a “left side injury” and that shortstop prospect Jose Iglesias will be promoted from Triple-A Pawtucket to provide middle infield depth in Scutaro’s absence.
Iglesias, 21, is far from ready for big league action. He’s hit just .253/.278/.253 with zero extra-base hits and 17 strikeouts in 92 plate appearances this year at Triple-A and has committed five errors in 95 fielding chances at shortstop.
In an ideal world, Iglesias would continue marinating in the minor leagues for at least another full season and the Red Sox would turn to someone else for the two or so weeks that Scutaro is sidelined. But 23-year-old infielder Yamaico Navarro just landed on the minor league disabled list with an injury of his own and the organization isn’t exactly flush with quality shortstops.
The move should be made official before Sunday afternoon’s game against the Twins.
UPDATE: Abraham has confirmed it now. Iglesias is on Boston’s 25-man roster.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)