May 8, 2011, 8:49 AM EDT
A major league source told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe on Saturday night that the Red Sox are preparing to place Marco Scutaro on the 15-day disabled list with a “left side injury” and that shortstop prospect Jose Iglesias will be promoted from Triple-A Pawtucket to provide middle infield depth in Scutaro’s absence.
Iglesias, 21, is far from ready for big league action. He’s hit just .253/.278/.253 with zero extra-base hits and 17 strikeouts in 92 plate appearances this year at Triple-A and has committed five errors in 95 fielding chances at shortstop.
In an ideal world, Iglesias would continue marinating in the minor leagues for at least another full season and the Red Sox would turn to someone else for the two or so weeks that Scutaro is sidelined. But 23-year-old infielder Yamaico Navarro just landed on the minor league disabled list with an injury of his own and the organization isn’t exactly flush with quality shortstops.
The move should be made official before Sunday afternoon’s game against the Twins.
UPDATE: Abraham has confirmed it now. Iglesias is on Boston’s 25-man roster.
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 0
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 36
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 14
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 31
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)