May 8, 2011, 8:49 AM EST
A major league source told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe on Saturday night that the Red Sox are preparing to place Marco Scutaro on the 15-day disabled list with a “left side injury” and that shortstop prospect Jose Iglesias will be promoted from Triple-A Pawtucket to provide middle infield depth in Scutaro’s absence.
Iglesias, 21, is far from ready for big league action. He’s hit just .253/.278/.253 with zero extra-base hits and 17 strikeouts in 92 plate appearances this year at Triple-A and has committed five errors in 95 fielding chances at shortstop.
In an ideal world, Iglesias would continue marinating in the minor leagues for at least another full season and the Red Sox would turn to someone else for the two or so weeks that Scutaro is sidelined. But 23-year-old infielder Yamaico Navarro just landed on the minor league disabled list with an injury of his own and the organization isn’t exactly flush with quality shortstops.
The move should be made official before Sunday afternoon’s game against the Twins.
UPDATE: Abraham has confirmed it now. Iglesias is on Boston’s 25-man roster.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 20
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 75
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)