May 8, 2011, 8:49 AM EDT
A major league source told Peter Abraham of the Boston Globe on Saturday night that the Red Sox are preparing to place Marco Scutaro on the 15-day disabled list with a “left side injury” and that shortstop prospect Jose Iglesias will be promoted from Triple-A Pawtucket to provide middle infield depth in Scutaro’s absence.
Iglesias, 21, is far from ready for big league action. He’s hit just .253/.278/.253 with zero extra-base hits and 17 strikeouts in 92 plate appearances this year at Triple-A and has committed five errors in 95 fielding chances at shortstop.
In an ideal world, Iglesias would continue marinating in the minor leagues for at least another full season and the Red Sox would turn to someone else for the two or so weeks that Scutaro is sidelined. But 23-year-old infielder Yamaico Navarro just landed on the minor league disabled list with an injury of his own and the organization isn’t exactly flush with quality shortstops.
The move should be made official before Sunday afternoon’s game against the Twins.
UPDATE: Abraham has confirmed it now. Iglesias is on Boston’s 25-man roster.
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 7
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 22
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 13
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 12
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 38
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 12
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 43
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 186
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (187)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)