May 8, 2011, 9:20 PM EDT
In his first game since being sent down by the Rangers, catcher Taylor Teagarden went deep three times and drove in seven runs for the Round Rock Express on Sunday.
The huge game gave him five homers in just 22 at-bats in the PCL this season.
Teagarden showed no rust at all despite a lack of action these last three weeks. He played in just two games, collecting four at-bats, in his 16 days with the Rangers.
Teagarden has flashed plenty of power in the majors, too, having delivered 16 homers and 19 doubles in 320 at-bats with the Rangers over the last four seasons. Unfortunately, all of that power came with 130 strikeouts. Since a nice 47-at-bat debut in 2008, he’s hit just .198 with 10 homers and a 111/23 K/BB ratio the last three seasons.
And that’s why the 27-year-old is back in the minors now. While Teagarden is considered average or above average defensively, teams seem to think his issues making contact will prevent him from becoming a quality regular. The Rangers buried him by bringing in Yorvit Torrealba and Mike Napoli over the winter, and no team has stepped up with a significant enough offer to pry him away.
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays 0
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 9
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 24
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)