May 8, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT
Cardinals manager Tony La Russa will have the viral infection around his right eye examined at the Mayo Clinic on Monday’s off day, the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports.
La Russa said before Sunday’s win over the Brewers that the condition, which has caused swelling and redness around his eye, has left him “miserable.”
“Day games are really rough, with the extra light,” he said.
La Russa plans to be back managing the club on Tuesday night if doctors allow it. One issue: the stress from his job might be causing the issue to linger longer than it otherwise would.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)