Earl Weaver is auctioning off a ton of memorabilia

May 9, 2011, 5:35 PM EDT

Earl Weaver, Juan Samuel

Whenever I hear about a baseball figure auctioning off stuff I worry that they’re broke or something, but in this day and age it’s more likely that they’re merely trying to simplify their estate plan.  That seems to be the case with longtime Orioles’ manager Earl Weaver, who is auctioning off all kinds of things:

Hall of Fame manager Earl Weaver is auctioning off 47 of his treasured keepsakes, including his 1966 World Series ring and jerseys received as gifts from Cal Ripken Jr. and Eddie Murray.The former Baltimore Orioles skipper will earn tens of thousands of dollars from the sale, but Weaver says he doesn’t need the money and isn’t keeping any of it.

“I have four children. They have children, and their children have children,” said Weaver, who turns 81 in August. “I don’t know how to divide whatever memorabilia there is among them.”

The article lists a lot of the things he’s selling and Weaver talks about how, when you have a ton of grandchildren and great grandchildren, most of whom don’t love baseball as much as you do, it’s way easier to simply liquidate the collectibles.

He also says something briefly about remembering the stuff that led to his acquisition of said collectibles, and that resonates with me. I’m not a pack rat. Aside from some baseball cards in the basement I don’t keep much. I don’t begrudge those who are fond of keepsakes, but the memories of people and places in my life are far more valuable to me than the keepsakes themselves.

Oh, and in case you’re wondering: there is no word if Weaver’s auction items include any Terry Crowley cards, books on tomato plants or treatises on team speed.  And if you don’t know why I mention that, I suggest that you use Google to find out.  And if you do, dear God, make sure the volume is down on your computer and that there are no minors within 1000 yards of you when you find what you’re looking for.

1. largebill - May 9, 2011 at 5:41 PM

I realize he is up there in years, but is he in ill health? Some of his comments almost make it seem like he thinks his time is short and other comments talk more about being worried about being robbed. Just odd. Especially odd or sad is his auctioning off gifts he received from Murray and Ripken upon going into the HoF.

2. sanzarq - May 9, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Makes perfect sense to me. The Earl of Baltimore has enjoyed all of his trophies & keepsakes during his retirement and now he’s making things a lot simpler for his family. After enduring some idiotic haggling between my own family members after a recent death, I can absolutely relate to what he’s trying to do.

Who cares, anyway!

3. dcburden - May 9, 2011 at 7:10 PM

The estate planning topic is an interesting one. My grandfather left a bunch of memorabilia behind, and there was some debate as to how we should allocate it all. That said, most of us do like baseball, and I think I’d rather have the keepsake I received than the dough it might have garnered on eBay.

4. schmedley69 - May 9, 2011 at 9:01 PM

Earl is a legend. They don’t make ‘em like him anymore. Like Craig said, go on youtube and search on Earl’s name. You’ll find a couple of CLASSIC videos.

5. Jack Marshall - May 10, 2011 at 12:39 AM

I think Weaver was the best baseball manager ever…certainly the best I’ve ever watched. He’s not going to sell THAT.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3024)