HBT Weekend Wrapup

May 9, 2011, 8:24 AM EDT

Justin Verlander

It was really the first weekend that actually felt like spring, at least from a baseball perspective. Yeah, the previous weekend was nice, but we were still getting a lot of rainouts and cold games. This weekend, no matter which game I turned to, it looked and felt like baseball. Ah.

And into the new week we plunge.

1. Chris Fiorentino - May 9, 2011 at 8:32 AM

The Oswalt story is so disappointing on so many levels. First, he had some soreness in his back. Then the tornadoes hit his home area and he went home to be with his family. I seriously doubt that Ruben thought he would be excavating and helping do the manual labor down there, as evidenced by his quote that he “didn’t think it helped that Roy did that kind of work down there”. The Phillies probably thought he would REST and be with his family, but instead he’s down there clearing roads. Ugh.

Then, instead of getting ripped by the media, he is hailed as a hero for putting his family first. I ask again…name me someone who DOESN’T put his family first? Then he says “Oh, baseball is only 4th in my life” Really? What’s 2 and 3? Hunting and building? Then go retire and do that if that’s all you want to do. Of course, those two don’t pay $16 million a year so I doubt it will come to that.

Makes me love the all-out win-first attitude of guys like Halladay and Lee all the more…and I am sure those guys also put their family first too.

May the “thumbs downing” commence….

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 9, 2011 at 11:17 AM

Chris, relax, it’s May. He’ll kill is own mother to play in October. Boo hoo, you have three legitimate number one starters at the moment.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - May 9, 2011 at 11:18 AM

..but, I’ll give you a thumbs up for caring so much.

• Chris Fiorentino - May 9, 2011 at 11:22 AM

“relax” is for people happy to come in second place, Pedro. I have nothing at all against Oswalt taking time to go down and be with his family. But to partake in strenuous labor down there when he knowingly had a bad back, to the point where he is now on the DL and even his own GM rips him publicly for it, is ludicrous.

• rebarratige - May 9, 2011 at 11:34 AM

“‘relax’ is for people happy to come in second place, Pedro.”

You’re starting to sound like that guy who killed Juan Primo, dude.

• xmatt0926x - May 9, 2011 at 2:10 PM

Agree with Chris. It’s fine to leave and check on your family and hell, you have a balky back so maybe you need the time off anyway. But explain why a man making $16 million this year who admittedly has a bad back can’t hire a professional crew to clear up tornado debris. I get it. From the stories I’ve read he loves using his trusty ol’ bulldozer but do you not have any responsibility to the organization that is paying you those millions? This isn’t a case where he panicked and just started clearing this stuff on the spur of the moment to try and save somebody. Everything was over with and he should have hired someone else to do it espcially with his already sore back. He has also made it clear several times that Baseball isn’t a major priority in his life which is all well and good. To each his own. But again, what about the people paying that salary and your teammates that are counting on you?

2. umrguy42 - May 9, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Actually, Wellemeyer will be in the Hall of Had a Pretty Good Year as a Dave Duncan Reclamation Project. It’s slightly bigger, and again, the gift shop is nice, but it tends to lose its luster after you leave…

• jas131 - May 9, 2011 at 12:07 PM

I would put Wellemeyer in the Hall of Had a Pretty Cool Major League Debut – he struck out the side in the bottom of the 17th for the save. (http://www.retrosheet.org/boxesetc/2003/B05150MIL2003.htm)

3. tomemos - May 9, 2011 at 12:48 PM

I’m no Joe West fan, but it’s pretty ridiculous to blame West for Upton’s ejection and suspension. Did you see the video? A, the strike call wasn’t ridiculous, and B, Upton went absolutely bananas. Baseball can’t let that stand.

Do Royals or A's have the edge tonight?
  1. D. Jeter (3319)