May 9, 2011, 2:10 PM EDT
UPDATE: Turns out, it was just a temporary stay of execution for Bradley, as the Mariners have now designated him for assignment while recalling prospect Carlos Peguero from Triple-A.
It’ll be interesting to see what kind of market there is for Bradley as a free agent given that he hasn’t hit well in several years and has already played for (and presumably burned bridges with) the Mariners, Indians, A’s, Dodgers, Rangers, Padres, and Cubs.
My guess is he winds up accepting a minor-league deal.
Once upon a time the thought of putting up with Bradley’s on- and off-field antics may have seemed like a worthwhile tradeoff for solid production from a switch-hitting corner outfielder, but Bradley simply hasn’t hit since joining the Mariners.
He batted .205 with a .641 OPS in 73 games last year and is hitting .218 with a .669 OPS through 28 games this year, which would be awful production from a choir boy with a great glove, let alone a pain in the ass whose best position is designated hitter.
Baker writes that Bradley’s “behavior is starting to impact games” and speculated that he could be on the verge of being released, but instead the Mariners created a roster spot for call-up Mike Wilson by designating a different outfielder, Ryan Langerhans, for assignment.
Apparently they aren’t ready to cut bait on him quite yet, but Cameron notes that Bradley wasn’t even great for the Cubs in 2008 and is 33 years old, so even setting aside the various headaches he brings to a team the odds are stacked against him bouncing back in a big way.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 6
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 18
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)