May 9, 2011, 8:20 PM EDT
In a veritable double-whammy, the Mets also announced this evening that prospect right-hander Jenrry Mejia will undergo Tommy John surgery.
According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, the decision was made after Mejia met with Dr. James Andrews earlier today.
Team doctor David Altchek recommended surgery last week after Mejia was diagnosed with a complete tear of the MCL in his right elbow.
Mejia, 21, posted a 2.86 ERA and 21/14 K/BB ratio over his first four starts with Triple-A Buffalo this season. Tommy John surgery isn’t exactly a death sentence, but his development will now be halted until somewhere around the midpoint of the 2012 season.
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 16
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 9
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 26
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 23
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves 70
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)