May 9, 2011, 8:20 PM EDT
In a veritable double-whammy, the Mets also announced this evening that prospect right-hander Jenrry Mejia will undergo Tommy John surgery.
According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, the decision was made after Mejia met with Dr. James Andrews earlier today.
Team doctor David Altchek recommended surgery last week after Mejia was diagnosed with a complete tear of the MCL in his right elbow.
Mejia, 21, posted a 2.86 ERA and 21/14 K/BB ratio over his first four starts with Triple-A Buffalo this season. Tommy John surgery isn’t exactly a death sentence, but his development will now be halted until somewhere around the midpoint of the 2012 season.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)