May 9, 2011, 8:20 PM EST
In a veritable double-whammy, the Mets also announced this evening that prospect right-hander Jenrry Mejia will undergo Tommy John surgery.
According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, the decision was made after Mejia met with Dr. James Andrews earlier today.
Team doctor David Altchek recommended surgery last week after Mejia was diagnosed with a complete tear of the MCL in his right elbow.
Mejia, 21, posted a 2.86 ERA and 21/14 K/BB ratio over his first four starts with Triple-A Buffalo this season. Tommy John surgery isn’t exactly a death sentence, but his development will now be halted until somewhere around the midpoint of the 2012 season.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)