May 9, 2011, 8:20 PM EDT
In a veritable double-whammy, the Mets also announced this evening that prospect right-hander Jenrry Mejia will undergo Tommy John surgery.
According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, the decision was made after Mejia met with Dr. James Andrews earlier today.
Team doctor David Altchek recommended surgery last week after Mejia was diagnosed with a complete tear of the MCL in his right elbow.
Mejia, 21, posted a 2.86 ERA and 21/14 K/BB ratio over his first four starts with Triple-A Buffalo this season. Tommy John surgery isn’t exactly a death sentence, but his development will now be halted until somewhere around the midpoint of the 2012 season.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)