May 9, 2011, 8:20 PM EDT
In a veritable double-whammy, the Mets also announced this evening that prospect right-hander Jenrry Mejia will undergo Tommy John surgery.
According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, the decision was made after Mejia met with Dr. James Andrews earlier today.
Team doctor David Altchek recommended surgery last week after Mejia was diagnosed with a complete tear of the MCL in his right elbow.
Mejia, 21, posted a 2.86 ERA and 21/14 K/BB ratio over his first four starts with Triple-A Buffalo this season. Tommy John surgery isn’t exactly a death sentence, but his development will now be halted until somewhere around the midpoint of the 2012 season.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 110
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 71
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 52
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (117)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)