May 9, 2011, 2:48 PM EDT
When the Dodgers placed Jonathan Broxton on the disabled list Friday the initial word was that he’d be shut down for a couple weeks, but the latest from manager Don Mattingly is that he could miss six weeks.
We’ll see how it goes. Obviously, if Vicente comes in and is pitching well out of there, it’s hard to just hand something over to somebody else. We’ll cross that bridge when we get there.
Broxton has struggled for so long now and will apparently miss more than a month with the bone spur in his elbow that it wouldn’t make sense for the Dodgers to simply hand him ninth-inning duties immediately. He hasn’t been effective since the middle of last season.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)