May 9, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
Athletics left fielder Josh Willingham was handed down a one-game suspension on Monday for some “inappropriate conduct” in Saturday’s game against the Royals.
Willingham made contact with umpire Bill Miller while arguing a called third strike in the eighth inning of the game. Willingham, who said Miller initiated the contact, appealed the suspension and is in the lineup for Monday’s game.
Willingham is hitting just .225 this season, but he leads the A’s with five homers and 17 RBI. It’s the first time in his eight-year career that he’s been suspended.
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 1
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 16
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)