May 9, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
Athletics left fielder Josh Willingham was handed down a one-game suspension on Monday for some “inappropriate conduct” in Saturday’s game against the Royals.
Willingham made contact with umpire Bill Miller while arguing a called third strike in the eighth inning of the game. Willingham, who said Miller initiated the contact, appealed the suspension and is in the lineup for Monday’s game.
Willingham is hitting just .225 this season, but he leads the A’s with five homers and 17 RBI. It’s the first time in his eight-year career that he’s been suspended.
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 19
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 7
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 41
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (245)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)