May 9, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
Athletics left fielder Josh Willingham was handed down a one-game suspension on Monday for some “inappropriate conduct” in Saturday’s game against the Royals.
Willingham made contact with umpire Bill Miller while arguing a called third strike in the eighth inning of the game. Willingham, who said Miller initiated the contact, appealed the suspension and is in the lineup for Monday’s game.
Willingham is hitting just .225 this season, but he leads the A’s with five homers and 17 RBI. It’s the first time in his eight-year career that he’s been suspended.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 66
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)