May 9, 2011, 2:27 PM EDT
Luke Scott has had a sore shoulder for a while. He hurt it in spring training, actually, and it has come to bother him a lot more in recent weeks. The Orioles sent him for an MRI, and the results are back: he has a partial tear of his labrum. The thinking at this point is that it won’t require surgery until after the season and that he can continue to play on. He will, however, meet with the Orioles’ team orthopedist tomorrow to get more details on a rehabilitation plan.
After that, it is widely expected that Scott will get a full humours panel, in which his relative levels of black bile, yellow bile, phlegm, and blood will be measured. It is hoped that his shoulder can be cured by the use of a simple dwale made from lettuce juice, gall from a castrated boar, briony, opium, henbane, hemlock juice and vinegar. If that’s not successful, however, Scott will likely be due for a full blood-letting, which will probably put him on the disabled list for at least a fortnight.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)