May 9, 2011, 2:27 PM EST
Luke Scott has had a sore shoulder for a while. He hurt it in spring training, actually, and it has come to bother him a lot more in recent weeks. The Orioles sent him for an MRI, and the results are back: he has a partial tear of his labrum. The thinking at this point is that it won’t require surgery until after the season and that he can continue to play on. He will, however, meet with the Orioles’ team orthopedist tomorrow to get more details on a rehabilitation plan.
After that, it is widely expected that Scott will get a full humours panel, in which his relative levels of black bile, yellow bile, phlegm, and blood will be measured. It is hoped that his shoulder can be cured by the use of a simple dwale made from lettuce juice, gall from a castrated boar, briony, opium, henbane, hemlock juice and vinegar. If that’s not successful, however, Scott will likely be due for a full blood-letting, which will probably put him on the disabled list for at least a fortnight.
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)