May 9, 2011, 7:17 PM EST
Let that sink in for a minute.
Milton Bradley, a 33-year-old corner outfielder with 125 career homers and 481 RBI, is making $12 million this year.
Credit Cubs GM Jim Hendry, who gave Bradley a three-year, $30 million contract after the biggest season of his career.
Even though Bradley was viewed by most as a head-case with major anger issues.
Even though Bradley was terribly injury prone.
Even though the one team that Bradley had played for that seemed to have no real problem with him and for which he had just enjoyed his career year and had the DH spot available for him wasn’t interested in offering him anything more than a one-year deal.
(That would be Texas.)
Three years and $30 million for a player who just a year previously had his season ended when he blew out his knee while being restrained by his manager so that he wouldn’t go after an umpire.
If Bradley is done as a major leaguer — and given the way he’s played since joining the Mariners, he may well be — he’ll leave the game tied with Michael Tucker and Tito Francona, among others, for 550th place on the all-time home run list. He wouldn’t even crack the top 1,000 in RBI or runs scored.
That’s an awful lot of ink spilled and money spent on a guy who only occasionally proved to be worth the hassle.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)