May 9, 2011, 7:17 PM EDT
Let that sink in for a minute.
Milton Bradley, a 33-year-old corner outfielder with 125 career homers and 481 RBI, is making $12 million this year.
Credit Cubs GM Jim Hendry, who gave Bradley a three-year, $30 million contract after the biggest season of his career.
Even though Bradley was viewed by most as a head-case with major anger issues.
Even though Bradley was terribly injury prone.
Even though the one team that Bradley had played for that seemed to have no real problem with him and for which he had just enjoyed his career year and had the DH spot available for him wasn’t interested in offering him anything more than a one-year deal.
(That would be Texas.)
Three years and $30 million for a player who just a year previously had his season ended when he blew out his knee while being restrained by his manager so that he wouldn’t go after an umpire.
If Bradley is done as a major leaguer — and given the way he’s played since joining the Mariners, he may well be — he’ll leave the game tied with Michael Tucker and Tito Francona, among others, for 550th place on the all-time home run list. He wouldn’t even crack the top 1,000 in RBI or runs scored.
That’s an awful lot of ink spilled and money spent on a guy who only occasionally proved to be worth the hassle.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 12
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 45
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 45
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 90
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)