Performance-enhancing pink

May 9, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Boston Red Sox Kevin Youkilis bats against the Minnesota Twins during the seventh inning of their MLB American League baseball game at Fenway Park in Boston

I would sooner bet my 401K on a game of three-card monty than take this as a serious statistical exercise, but stats can be just for fun too, and this one is no exception: the Old Time Family Baseball blog looked at the performance of all of the players who used pink bats yesterday in honor of Mother’s Day and breast cancer awareness.  The conclusion: the pink bat guys did better than their non-pink counterparts.

But that conclusion pales compared to the best line of the whole piece:

Derek Jeter and A-Rod didn’t use a pink bat. Alex Rodriguez clearly hates mothers while Derek Jeter didn’t want to detract attention away from breast cancer survivors.

If it weren’t for the increased Jeter scrutiny of late, I’d almost expect to see that line of reasoning played out in the New York tabloids.

Anyway: fun stuff.

1. BC - May 9, 2011 at 10:19 AM

I know you can’t put pine tar past a certain point of the bat. But if you put some sort of hardening agent over most of your bat above the handle, a) is it illegal; b) how would you ever get caught; and c) would it make a difference in power? Odd thought, just popped into my head. Maybe there’s a market for putting the cream and the clear on your bat….

• heyblueyoustink - May 9, 2011 at 10:53 AM

But wouldn’t that just cause said bat to shrink?

• BC - May 9, 2011 at 12:34 PM

The head would grow though. No, the other one.

• bigharold - May 9, 2011 at 4:39 PM

My understanding that it’s not the bat that shrinks.

2. b7p19 - May 9, 2011 at 11:38 AM

I guess these guys are ineligible for the HOF now?

• BC - May 9, 2011 at 12:36 PM

If someone hits their 500th or 600th HR with a pink bat, the bat is ineligible for the HOF.

Time for Red Sox to be sellers?
  1. J. Hammel (2488)