May 9, 2011, 11:22 PM EST
Crawford, who had been 0-for-4 in the game, doubled off the Green Monster to score pinch-runner Jose Iglesias from first base. Iglesias was off with the 3-2 pitch with one out in the inning and just beat the throw home from Ben Revere.
Boston got another outstanding performance from Josh Beckett in the contest. Beckett pitched seven scoreless innings, lowering his ERA to 1.99. He left with a 1-0 lead, but that was blown in the eighth after Alfredo Aceves balked a runner to second and Jonathan Papelbon, asked to get four outs, allowed a game-tying single.
The Twins ended up with nine hits in the game, every one of them a single. It kind of summed up the entire season for the team with the fewest homers and extra-base hits in all of baseball. Even the Padres have outhomered them 21-15.
Minnesota took the loss despite an encouraging showing from Nick Blackburn. In the sixth inning, Blackburn fanned J.D. Drew, Jed Lowrie and Crawford to strike out the side in order for the first time in his career. He entered the game with just 15 strikeouts in 34 2/3 innings for the season, but he notched five K’s tonight.
By taking three out of four at home, the Red Sox pulled back within a game of .500 at 17-18. The Twins have the game’s worst record, pending the White Sox’s result tonight. They’re 12-21.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (116)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)