Roy Oswalt not likely to be ready by Friday

May 9, 2011, 12:09 PM EST

roy-oswalt-and-trainer-phillies AP

Roy Oswalt is eligible to come off the DL on Friday, but he’s unlikely to be ready to pitch then, reports the Philly Inquirer.

The Phillies will be in Atlanta next weekend, and that could mean that Kyle Kendrick gets another start against the Braves. Which wouldn’t be a bad thing at all for Philly, frankly, given that Kendrick is now 6-1 with a 2.35 ERA in ten career starts against them.

It’s to the point where I think Braves hitters fear him more than the aces.

1. BC - May 9, 2011 at 12:32 PM

I missed the memo on Oswalt. Other than the 10-or-so day leave of absence he took, what’s up.

• dlevalley - May 9, 2011 at 12:40 PM

Balky Back:

• BC - May 10, 2011 at 9:46 AM

He’s had that a couple times before. For a not-overly-tall, not-overly-heavy guy at his age, that thing acts up an awful lot. I mean, Tim Wakefield is in decent shape, but he’s 44, so of course his back will act up. Oswalt’s got something going on back there.

2. drunkenhooliganism - May 9, 2011 at 12:43 PM

I wonder what fiorentino thinks about this?

• Chris Fiorentino - May 9, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Already gave my opinion on two other threads and haven’t been challenged. Still waiting for paperbag to challenge a single word I said, other than to say I proved some negative stereotype about Phillies fans.

3. Jonny 5 - May 9, 2011 at 12:44 PM

Hey you were talking like that about Hamels too……… Ohhhh, I see. I see how it is. Lex Luthor .

4. bleedgreen - May 9, 2011 at 1:17 PM

Well, since Fat Joe is pitching tonight, that leaves Vance Worley available to start as well. I’d rather start Worley than Kendrick. Kendrick has pitched well but he is very well known for appearing to turn a corner right before giving up 7 runs through 4 innings.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5093)