May 9, 2011, 4:46 PM EDT
Along with activating Joe Blanton from the disabled list for tonight’s start the Phillies have also juggled their rotation, lining up Cole Hamels to pitch Friday because Roy Oswalt is now aiming to return next Tuesday.
Oswalt was initially penciled in to pitch this Friday, with Vance Worley waiting in the wings as the fill-in if needed, but apparently the Phillies don’t believe his back problems will have subsided by then and opted to alter the rotation instead.
Between his back injury and leaving the team to be with his family after the tornadoes in Mississippi, Oswalt hasn’t pitched since lasting just three innings in a loss to the Diamondbacks on April 26.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 8
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 49
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 108
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (84)