May 9, 2011, 4:46 PM EST
Along with activating Joe Blanton from the disabled list for tonight’s start the Phillies have also juggled their rotation, lining up Cole Hamels to pitch Friday because Roy Oswalt is now aiming to return next Tuesday.
Oswalt was initially penciled in to pitch this Friday, with Vance Worley waiting in the wings as the fill-in if needed, but apparently the Phillies don’t believe his back problems will have subsided by then and opted to alter the rotation instead.
Between his back injury and leaving the team to be with his family after the tornadoes in Mississippi, Oswalt hasn’t pitched since lasting just three innings in a loss to the Diamondbacks on April 26.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)