May 10, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
Torres is returning to his usual leadoff spot, while DeRosa is playing third and batting seventh.
As expected, the Giants sent the struggling Miguel Tejada to the bench to make room for DeRosa. Tejada played shortstop before moving to third when Pablo Sandoval got hurt, but Mike Fontenot has been red-hot and will stay there for now. Tejada is hitting just .195/.230/.263 with one homer and nine RBI in 118 at-bats.
What is unexpected is that Aaron Rowand remains in the lineup in left field. Rowand did a nice job filling in for Torres last month, but he’s slumped of late: he’s hitting .212 with just one RBI and 12 strikeouts in eight games this month. Overall, he’s at .271/.317/.398 n 118 at-bats. Pat Burrell, who is taking a seat, is hitting .239/.364/.446.
The move signals a philosphy shift from manager Bruce Bochy. Before the season started, Bochy indicated that it was Torres who would move around the outfield when he and Rowand played together. Now, however, Torres is playing center and Rowand is making just his second start in an outfield corner since 2004. It’s just the fourth time in his career that he started in left field, though he did see a bunch of action there as a defensive replacement in his early days with the White Sox.
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 21
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 38
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)