May 10, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
Torres is returning to his usual leadoff spot, while DeRosa is playing third and batting seventh.
As expected, the Giants sent the struggling Miguel Tejada to the bench to make room for DeRosa. Tejada played shortstop before moving to third when Pablo Sandoval got hurt, but Mike Fontenot has been red-hot and will stay there for now. Tejada is hitting just .195/.230/.263 with one homer and nine RBI in 118 at-bats.
What is unexpected is that Aaron Rowand remains in the lineup in left field. Rowand did a nice job filling in for Torres last month, but he’s slumped of late: he’s hitting .212 with just one RBI and 12 strikeouts in eight games this month. Overall, he’s at .271/.317/.398 n 118 at-bats. Pat Burrell, who is taking a seat, is hitting .239/.364/.446.
The move signals a philosphy shift from manager Bruce Bochy. Before the season started, Bochy indicated that it was Torres who would move around the outfield when he and Rowand played together. Now, however, Torres is playing center and Rowand is making just his second start in an outfield corner since 2004. It’s just the fourth time in his career that he started in left field, though he did see a bunch of action there as a defensive replacement in his early days with the White Sox.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 52
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 75
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (75)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement