May 10, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
Torres is returning to his usual leadoff spot, while DeRosa is playing third and batting seventh.
As expected, the Giants sent the struggling Miguel Tejada to the bench to make room for DeRosa. Tejada played shortstop before moving to third when Pablo Sandoval got hurt, but Mike Fontenot has been red-hot and will stay there for now. Tejada is hitting just .195/.230/.263 with one homer and nine RBI in 118 at-bats.
What is unexpected is that Aaron Rowand remains in the lineup in left field. Rowand did a nice job filling in for Torres last month, but he’s slumped of late: he’s hitting .212 with just one RBI and 12 strikeouts in eight games this month. Overall, he’s at .271/.317/.398 n 118 at-bats. Pat Burrell, who is taking a seat, is hitting .239/.364/.446.
The move signals a philosphy shift from manager Bruce Bochy. Before the season started, Bochy indicated that it was Torres who would move around the outfield when he and Rowand played together. Now, however, Torres is playing center and Rowand is making just his second start in an outfield corner since 2004. It’s just the fourth time in his career that he started in left field, though he did see a bunch of action there as a defensive replacement in his early days with the White Sox.
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 58
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 17
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- Steven Matz stellar on the mound — and at the plate — in his major league debut for the Mets 19
- The 2015 Gillette Home Run Derby will have a new format 32
- Meet the Matz! The Mets call up Steven Matz to make his MLB debut 11
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 23
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (108)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)