May 10, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
After being pushed back a day because of a sore throat, Francisco Liriano gets Detroit tonight in his first start since throwing his no-hitter against the White Sox a week ago.
The extra rest figures to do his arm some good, as he blew away his previous season high by throwing 123 pitches in his first career complete game. He didn’t throw more than 97 pitches in any of his previous five starts this season.
As Liriano tries to match Johnny Vander Meer with consecutive no-nos — the typical bid never seems to last past the second inning — he’ll be facing a team he’s 4-4 with a 4.79 ERA against in 12 starts and four relief appearances. It’ll be his first outing against Detroit this year.
Here’s a possible Tigers lineup and how each hitter has fared against him:
CF Austin Jackson: 3-for-11, .273/.429/.364
2B Scott Sizemore: 2-for-5, .400/.400/.600
DH Magglio Ordonez: 10-for-26, .385/.407/.731
1B Miguel Cabrera: 7-for-20, .350/.391/.800
C Victor Martinez: 8-for-18, .444/.474/.722
RF Brennan Boesch: 3-for-6, .500/.667/.667
LF Ryan Raburn: 4-for-15, .267/.353/.467
SS Jhonny Peralta: 7-for-24, .292/.414/.417
3B Brandon Inge: 4-for-31, .129/.156/.226
Alternatively, the Tigers could go with the left-handed-hitting Alex Avila behind the plate and sit either Boesch or Raburn. Avila has never faced Liriano.
As much success as the heart of the Tigers order has had against Liriano, the southpaw might be fortunate just to put together another quality start tonight. He had only one in five outings prior to the no-hitter.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 36
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 21
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 22
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 37
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Mariners extend general manager Jack Zduriencik’s contract 14
- Money, money, money (and Bud Selig’s nirvana) 16
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (144)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (99)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)