May 10, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT
After being pushed back a day because of a sore throat, Francisco Liriano gets Detroit tonight in his first start since throwing his no-hitter against the White Sox a week ago.
The extra rest figures to do his arm some good, as he blew away his previous season high by throwing 123 pitches in his first career complete game. He didn’t throw more than 97 pitches in any of his previous five starts this season.
As Liriano tries to match Johnny Vander Meer with consecutive no-nos — the typical bid never seems to last past the second inning — he’ll be facing a team he’s 4-4 with a 4.79 ERA against in 12 starts and four relief appearances. It’ll be his first outing against Detroit this year.
Here’s a possible Tigers lineup and how each hitter has fared against him:
CF Austin Jackson: 3-for-11, .273/.429/.364
2B Scott Sizemore: 2-for-5, .400/.400/.600
DH Magglio Ordonez: 10-for-26, .385/.407/.731
1B Miguel Cabrera: 7-for-20, .350/.391/.800
C Victor Martinez: 8-for-18, .444/.474/.722
RF Brennan Boesch: 3-for-6, .500/.667/.667
LF Ryan Raburn: 4-for-15, .267/.353/.467
SS Jhonny Peralta: 7-for-24, .292/.414/.417
3B Brandon Inge: 4-for-31, .129/.156/.226
Alternatively, the Tigers could go with the left-handed-hitting Alex Avila behind the plate and sit either Boesch or Raburn. Avila has never faced Liriano.
As much success as the heart of the Tigers order has had against Liriano, the southpaw might be fortunate just to put together another quality start tonight. He had only one in five outings prior to the no-hitter.
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 80
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 58
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 51
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 19
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11