May 10, 2011, 10:25 PM EDT
After leaving Tuesday’s game prior to the eighth inning, Jason Heyward admitted that he’s been dealing with soreness in his right shoulder since the spring. He’s set to have an MRI.
Heyward, who went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts tonight, said the soreness has worsened in recent days and that he’s recently experienced numbness in his forearm.
Heyward is just 2-for-28 during May, and he’s yet to homer after hitting seven during the first month of the season. His average is down to .220.
If Heyward lands on the DL, the Braves will go to Eric Hinske as their primary right fielder. Such a switch would particularly hurt them defensively and deprive them of their top left-handed pinch-hitter. Hinske, who had an RBI double off the bench tonight, is batting .359 in 39 at-bats.
With Jordan Schafer and Wilkin Ramirez both struggling at Triple-A Gwinnett, the Braves may well call up veteran Jose Constanza take Heyward’s spot on the roster. Their lack of outfield depth is a real issue and something that might be addressed in a trade later on.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)