May 10, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
Normally moving from the AL and hitter-friendly Yankee Stadium to the NL and Florida’s pitcher-friendly ballpark would have made Vazquez a strong bounceback candidate, but as I wrote at the time 35-year-old pitchers coming off a season in which they had a 5.32 ERA and averaged 88.7 miles per hour with their fastball aren’t great bets for much of anything.
Sure enough Vazquez has struggled and after an ugly start against the Phillies last night he has a 6.88 ERA and .312 opponents’ batting average through seven outings. Even more worrisome than the bloated ERA is Vazquez’s terrible 16/22 K/BB ratio, which includes zero strikeouts versus Philadelphia.
I wish I had an explanation, but I’ve got nothing. Just frustrating. I’m embarrassed the way I’m throwing. Things aren’t happening right now for me. Nothing’s going right, so we’ve just got to keep working hard, battling, and hopefully I’ll get through this. If not, then I’ll be in trouble.
If you take Vazquez’s seven starts out of the mix the rest of the Marlins’ rotation is 10-3 with a 3.15 ERA.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)