May 10, 2011, 3:44 PM EST
David Schoenfield of ESPN.com just tweeted this note and I had to share it:
First time both the Pirates and Royals have been over .500 on the same day 30 games into a season since May 16, 1999.
How long ago was that?
Well, that day the Pirates were playing the Expos and Vladimir Guerrero was Montreal’s cleanup hitter, Javier Vazquez was the starting pitcher, and Ted Lilly relieved him. Oh, and Jason Kendall was hitting fifth for Pittsburgh, which probably sounds impossible to anyone who only remembers the current version.
Also, the Royals’ cleanup hitter was Jeff King, who retired that season, and their outfield was Johnny Damon, Carlos Beltran, and Jermaine Dye. They were playing a Mariners team that had Alex Rodriguez batting second with Ken Griffey Jr. hitting third and Seattle’s starting pitcher that day was a 36-year-old Jamie Moyer.
Oh, and I was a sophomore in high school who’d just passed his driver’s license test and had big plans for a 1988 Chevy Corsica.
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 16
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 179
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 103
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 34
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (201)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)