May 10, 2011, 3:44 PM EST
David Schoenfield of ESPN.com just tweeted this note and I had to share it:
First time both the Pirates and Royals have been over .500 on the same day 30 games into a season since May 16, 1999.
How long ago was that?
Well, that day the Pirates were playing the Expos and Vladimir Guerrero was Montreal’s cleanup hitter, Javier Vazquez was the starting pitcher, and Ted Lilly relieved him. Oh, and Jason Kendall was hitting fifth for Pittsburgh, which probably sounds impossible to anyone who only remembers the current version.
Also, the Royals’ cleanup hitter was Jeff King, who retired that season, and their outfield was Johnny Damon, Carlos Beltran, and Jermaine Dye. They were playing a Mariners team that had Alex Rodriguez batting second with Ken Griffey Jr. hitting third and Seattle’s starting pitcher that day was a 36-year-old Jamie Moyer.
Oh, and I was a sophomore in high school who’d just passed his driver’s license test and had big plans for a 1988 Chevy Corsica.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 161
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)