Pirates prospect Tony Sanchez is in hot water over mad tweeting

May 10, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

Pittsburgh Pirates Photo Day Getty Images

Baseball people: don’t tweet angry. Ozzie Guillen learned that the hard way. Now it seems that Pirates’ prospect Tony Sanchez is about to as well.

Last night Sanchez’s team, the Altoona Curve of the Eastern League, lost their game to Harrisburg when, in the bottom of the ninth, Harrsiburg scored on a fielder’s choice that — according to many — should have been a 5-4-3 double play. Except the ump said the man running from first hit second before the throw. That allowed the man on third to score with the winning run.

After the game, Sanchez tweeted thusly:

Sometimes the umpires just decide to blow a game. Never seen a winning teams crowd go silent as the game winning run crosses the plate.

A few minutes ago, Peter Gammons noted on his Twitter feed that the Eastern League is not at all happy with Sanchez.  And given that this crosses from the realm of “the umps blew the call” to “the umps are rank incompetents and/or are willingly trying to change the outcome of games,” the league’s displeasure is understandable.

And for added fun, Gammons’ tweet was just brought to Sanchez’s attention.  His response:

just saw that. shoulda kept that tweet to myself

Look for Sanchez to get a suspension soon.

UPDATE:  I love the age we live in. This continues to play out in real time. Sanchez, responding to Gammons:

I hear ya. big mistake on my part. paying the price as we speak.

Great. Now Tony: Put. The. Smartphone. Down.

UPDATE II:  OK, this additional tweeting is actually acceptable:

Should have kept my feelings about last nights outcome to myself. I work to hard to have a great relationship with umpires to let one call jeopardize that relationship. I apologize and will not let it happen again.

Aw, I love happy endings. Even if he’s still gonna get a suspension.

1. BC - May 10, 2011 at 2:15 PM

This is why I fail to believe in Twitter or Facebook.
    Twitter is too instant, so if you’re in a bad mood of course you’ll spew something then regret hitting send. And does anyone really want to read, “@BC Just had a chili dog. Burp.”
    Facebook… well if someone wants to find me, they’ll find me. I have better things to waste time on, rather than getting spammed or looking at people’s baby pictures or vacation pictures. If someone wants to share a picture with me, Email it to me.
    And no, I’m not 70 years old (though I feel it some days).

• Adam - May 12, 2011 at 11:39 AM

This is why I fail to believe in the internet. Complete fad, will be gone in a few years.

2. silverdeer - May 10, 2011 at 2:40 PM

I just love how sports are in today’s world. The athletes are supposed to complete to their fullest and yet cannot vent in a moment of frustration without the Napoleon complexes in the League Offices cracking down on them. “You are only allowed your freedoms if they align with ours…If they don’t we reserve the right to take them away…”

3. Chris Fiorentino - May 10, 2011 at 2:41 PM

“Pirates prospect Tony Sanchez is in hot water over mad tweeting”
    I actually thought this was going to be about a guy who tweeted like 1,000 times during practice or a game or something ;)

I would have probably said…
    “Pirates prospect Tony Sanchez is in hot water over tweeting while angry”

• Utley's Hair - May 10, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Wow, Chris. You must be having a good day. Folks are agreeing with you and giving you more thumbs ups than downs.

• Chris Fiorentino - May 10, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Did you go into the article about the baseball writers? I think I broke my own record there…like 1 and 30. Of course, I knew an “anti-stat-geek” comment would be that bad, but it was just something that had to be said.

4. Jonny 5 - May 10, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Let the people speak!!!! That’s my motto.

• heyblueyoustink - May 10, 2011 at 2:59 PM

And the founding fathers would agree with you…….apparently baseball execs doesn’t believe in that part of the Constitution as much as the rest of us…….

Seriously, they get questioned, in public, every other at bat…….so why’s everyone getting their slump busting g-strings in a bunch

• Utley's Hair - May 10, 2011 at 3:35 PM

Blue, the First Amendment only deals with governmental interference in freedom of speech, not workplace. That said, when Cameron was in Egyptland, Let my Cameron go.

• heyblueyoustink - May 10, 2011 at 4:49 PM

C’mon Hair, don’t ruin the twisted little Libertarian bizzaro world I’ve tried so hard to dellusion myself with…..

Still though, punishment for expressing criticism seems very Pinochet or Mao to me

• Utley's Hair - May 10, 2011 at 5:06 PM

Hey, man—no, I was not calling you Heyman—I was just clearing up a constitutional misperception that has permeated itself in society, and is a pet peeve of mine. (Really, people, it’s not that tough to figure out.)

That said, I don’t see why people aren’t permitted to beeyotch about their workplace.

5. stoankold - May 10, 2011 at 3:03 PM

There are consequences (no matter how big or small) for ones actions. Twitter helps athletes learn this basic lesson of life. To quote Dan Patrick “we have freedom of speech, just not freedom from consequences”. It’s not that hard to think before hitting send or opening ones mouth.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 10, 2011 at 3:03 PM

Anyone who thinks this kid is being picked on should try tweeting/posting something rude about their boss. Let’s see what happens…

That’s the way the real world works, even for baseball players, apparently.

• Jonny 5 - May 10, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Umm, he wasn’t tweeting about his boss…..

• crpls - May 10, 2011 at 4:03 PM

No, but in a “normal” job you don’t have “umpires” per se. I think he was just saying that if you tweet/FB something bad about your boss, there’s nothing to stop them from firing you or punishing you (depending on the state and union availability, of course.)

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - May 10, 2011 at 5:41 PM

MLB (or whatever the overall organization is called) is his boss, and he should consider himself damned lucky about it. Substitute anything you want in place of ‘boss’ to make it relevant to your work environment: client, customer, partner, john…the concept applies.

7. bklynbaseball - May 10, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Life Lesson, people – just because you have “freedom of speech” meaning that you can say whatever you want, does NOT mean that you are not going to be held responsible AND accountable for what comes out of your pie-hole. Or, as my wise father used to say before he left this cruel world; “not every thought that goes into your head needs to come out of your mouth.”

• Utley's Hair - May 10, 2011 at 4:59 PM

But it’s sometimes a problem when the thought comes into my head and leaves before it comes out of my mouth.

Three legends off to Cooperstown