May 10, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
Baseball people: don’t tweet angry. Ozzie Guillen learned that the hard way. Now it seems that Pirates’ prospect Tony Sanchez is about to as well.
Last night Sanchez’s team, the Altoona Curve of the Eastern League, lost their game to Harrisburg when, in the bottom of the ninth, Harrsiburg scored on a fielder’s choice that — according to many — should have been a 5-4-3 double play. Except the ump said the man running from first hit second before the throw. That allowed the man on third to score with the winning run.
After the game, Sanchez tweeted thusly:
Sometimes the umpires just decide to blow a game. Never seen a winning teams crowd go silent as the game winning run crosses the plate.
A few minutes ago, Peter Gammons noted on his Twitter feed that the Eastern League is not at all happy with Sanchez. And given that this crosses from the realm of “the umps blew the call” to “the umps are rank incompetents and/or are willingly trying to change the outcome of games,” the league’s displeasure is understandable.
And for added fun, Gammons’ tweet was just brought to Sanchez’s attention. His response:
just saw that. shoulda kept that tweet to myself
Look for Sanchez to get a suspension soon.
UPDATE: I love the age we live in. This continues to play out in real time. Sanchez, responding to Gammons:
I hear ya. big mistake on my part. paying the price as we speak.
Great. Now Tony: Put. The. Smartphone. Down.
UPDATE II: OK, this additional tweeting is actually acceptable:
Should have kept my feelings about last nights outcome to myself. I work to hard to have a great relationship with umpires to let one call jeopardize that relationship. I apologize and will not let it happen again.
Aw, I love happy endings. Even if he’s still gonna get a suspension.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)