May 10, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
Baseball people: don’t tweet angry. Ozzie Guillen learned that the hard way. Now it seems that Pirates’ prospect Tony Sanchez is about to as well.
Last night Sanchez’s team, the Altoona Curve of the Eastern League, lost their game to Harrisburg when, in the bottom of the ninth, Harrsiburg scored on a fielder’s choice that — according to many — should have been a 5-4-3 double play. Except the ump said the man running from first hit second before the throw. That allowed the man on third to score with the winning run.
After the game, Sanchez tweeted thusly:
Sometimes the umpires just decide to blow a game. Never seen a winning teams crowd go silent as the game winning run crosses the plate.
A few minutes ago, Peter Gammons noted on his Twitter feed that the Eastern League is not at all happy with Sanchez. And given that this crosses from the realm of “the umps blew the call” to “the umps are rank incompetents and/or are willingly trying to change the outcome of games,” the league’s displeasure is understandable.
And for added fun, Gammons’ tweet was just brought to Sanchez’s attention. His response:
just saw that. shoulda kept that tweet to myself
Look for Sanchez to get a suspension soon.
UPDATE: I love the age we live in. This continues to play out in real time. Sanchez, responding to Gammons:
I hear ya. big mistake on my part. paying the price as we speak.
Great. Now Tony: Put. The. Smartphone. Down.
UPDATE II: OK, this additional tweeting is actually acceptable:
Should have kept my feelings about last nights outcome to myself. I work to hard to have a great relationship with umpires to let one call jeopardize that relationship. I apologize and will not let it happen again.
Aw, I love happy endings. Even if he’s still gonna get a suspension.
- Report: Cuban free agent infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 0
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 11
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 9
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 138
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (141)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)