May 10, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
Baseball people: don’t tweet angry. Ozzie Guillen learned that the hard way. Now it seems that Pirates’ prospect Tony Sanchez is about to as well.
Last night Sanchez’s team, the Altoona Curve of the Eastern League, lost their game to Harrisburg when, in the bottom of the ninth, Harrsiburg scored on a fielder’s choice that — according to many — should have been a 5-4-3 double play. Except the ump said the man running from first hit second before the throw. That allowed the man on third to score with the winning run.
After the game, Sanchez tweeted thusly:
Sometimes the umpires just decide to blow a game. Never seen a winning teams crowd go silent as the game winning run crosses the plate.
A few minutes ago, Peter Gammons noted on his Twitter feed that the Eastern League is not at all happy with Sanchez. And given that this crosses from the realm of “the umps blew the call” to “the umps are rank incompetents and/or are willingly trying to change the outcome of games,” the league’s displeasure is understandable.
And for added fun, Gammons’ tweet was just brought to Sanchez’s attention. His response:
just saw that. shoulda kept that tweet to myself
Look for Sanchez to get a suspension soon.
UPDATE: I love the age we live in. This continues to play out in real time. Sanchez, responding to Gammons:
I hear ya. big mistake on my part. paying the price as we speak.
Great. Now Tony: Put. The. Smartphone. Down.
UPDATE II: OK, this additional tweeting is actually acceptable:
Should have kept my feelings about last nights outcome to myself. I work to hard to have a great relationship with umpires to let one call jeopardize that relationship. I apologize and will not let it happen again.
Aw, I love happy endings. Even if he’s still gonna get a suspension.
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 15
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 238
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 3
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 141
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 40
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 98
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (248)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (156)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)